DECK MOTOR CLUTCH BOLT REMOVAL

We Can Rebuild Them, We Have The Technology.

DECK MOTOR CLUTCH BOLT REMOVAL

Postby Housewiz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:03 am

Brought home a deck that had been sitting on the ground for 15 years. The heads of the blade clutch bolts were pretty rounded and couldn't pound a socket over them nor get vice grips to bite. Used an angle grinder to notch out a corner of a scrap piece of angle iron. Snugged up the angle to the bolt head, welded the head to the angle, and the nut loosened with very little grunt on the angle.

Yep - all 3 motors are seized. Looking for all tricks up the sleeve to free up those motors. Other than just tearing them down, what success have you guys had with working on them.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (330.37 KiB) Viewed 623 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (287.48 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Housewiz

Re: DECK MOTOR CLUTCH BOLT REMOVAL

Postby fwilliams » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 am

Steve - all the old standard remedies involved cleaning solvents - not recommended by many people for many reasons . I could suggest low voltage electrolysis -complete immersion . Sort of a reversal of how they got that way . Otherwise it may be hopeless anyway . Good to see you back at it full bore .
fwilliams

Postby busybee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:23 am

housewiz, drop the entire motor in a solution of molasses/water at a ratio of 7:1, wait a week or two, then power wash it, all the rust will be gone and just the rust and loose paint, this solution is mildly phosphoric in nature.

michael
busybee

Postby roberttroll » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:40 am

I sent Jeff A - a motor that suffered s similar life. He soaked in evapo-rust and it came out great. It did end up having a bad armature, but it was clean. Tried it because that is what the old car guys use on old generators. Have pics somewhere that I will try to post later.
roberttroll

Return to Restorations