E16 RESTO PROJECT IS ALIVE

We Can Rebuild Them, We Have The Technology.

E16 RESTO PROJECT IS ALIVE

Postby Housewiz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Now that the solar E20 is up and running, I figured it's time get my hands dirty with the E16 that's been hanging around unfinished way too long. I am changing the cast axle for the later tube steel. Who has a preference for the one-piece steering arms vs. the adjustable style (for toe-in & toe-out)?

Pulled out the NOS drive motor I bought a while back and spun it up on the bench tester - never had a pulley mounted to it. Sounds great and really not much better than the factory motor I removed so that will be my spare. I also picked up an NOS tranny (2318 Peerless painted red from a WH?) that has never had a brake nor pulley mounted to it.

The new style brake on the E16 appears to be a vast improvement over the old style I have been wrangling with on Burly. Anyone know the :mrgreen: thickness of brand new pucks? Mine may have been too thin thus causing one to fall out.

Steve
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (209.04 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (236.02 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Last edited by Housewiz on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Housewiz

Re: E16 RESTO PROJECT IS ALIVE

Postby Housewiz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:14 am

Wheeled the yellow pup outside this perfect day. Cleaned up the underside, took steel wool to all the wiring insulation, put new robber guards on the wiring then wrapped all the underside bundles in black duct tape, painted the drive motor that has been shuffled around in a box for decades, cleaned up the brake switch (had to drill out the rusted mounting screws. Still have to install the drive pulley so the motor will have to be pulled - installed it finger tight to get the wire conductor lengths correct. To install the new tube steel axle I had to grind off the welds securing the rear angle support - will weld that on tomorrow then finish mounting the steering arms and wheels. Then sort out all the loose wiring and put on new connectors, install the drive belts, secure wire bundles with black wire ties, etc. Still need some switches, gauges, and a bunch of other stuff.

Steve
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (283.27 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (262.17 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Last edited by Housewiz on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Housewiz

Postby Housewiz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:44 pm

More progress.

2nd pic - new bumper & cleaned up/painted lift. Had to remove the rotisserie frame to install bumper & lift. Supported ET on sawhorses. Switched out the cast iron f. axle for the tube style. This E16 is the RA model which started life as an E15 (that didn't sell?) then I guess brought back to GE and morphed into an E16.

3rd pic - shows reinforced hose on steering joint knuckles. Should hold up for a while. Also shows brackets I made to restrain brake wiring. Put two layers of heat shrink over black duct tape to isolate wire from metal.

4th pic - shows section of neoprene roller wheel (got 50 of them in the "Motherload") used to restrain major wiring bundle heading into the rear batt box which often gets chewed by whirling drive belts. Held in place w/screw from outside frame face.

5th pic - didn't want to ride my bicycle to the hardware store (again) so I fabricated a bracket out of a wiring lug which secures the motor field wiring.

1st pic- found these stiff "fender washers" that fully cover the front wheel bearings which keep out the dirt, etc.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (190.21 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (196.58 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (265.15 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (216.1 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Last edited by Housewiz on Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Housewiz

Postby roberttroll » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:45 am

Along the lines of your roller... I installed a simple piece of sheet steel, bent and rounded off, to prevent the belt from rubbing against the wiring harness. I do not know why they did not try something like this at the factors. So easy to do. Hope you can make it out in this pic.

IMG617.jpg
IMG617.jpg (88.32 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
roberttroll

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:34 pm

The factory used zip ties to keep the wiring tight to the frame. I don't know if they break or if the previous owners cut them off & never replaced them. One some of my restorations I've added a few more of them just to be sure.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby Housewiz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:22 pm

I used large black zip ties in two original locations. With that large bundle so close to the spinning belts I thought a large "hand" was needed to force the bundle against the frame and permanently out of harms way.

Steve
Housewiz

Postby Housewiz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 pm

More progress. Photos uploaded in correct order - displayed in reverse! :x

1st pic - I have 2 NOS control throttles and neither had the mounting holes tapped - how the heck is one supposed to mount the thing? Bought a tap. Stock throttle is on the right.

2nd pic - cleaned up and painted the cage, shined up all the hardware, left the bands & "A" totally alone.

3rd pic - these little doodads fit the hood pivots perfectly. Never saw what part GE used for this so improvisation again.

4th pic - steel wool goes a long way to cleaning up headlight buckets.

5th pic - dashboard and steering wheel are next followed by relays and contactors.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.03 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (207.81 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (183.66 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (332.67 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (240.86 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Housewiz

Postby Housewiz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:05 pm

More progress. Sorry about the grainy pics - guess iPads don't like 90 degree weather.

1st pic - used some of those handy batt cable lugs for locating safe placement of headlite wires - note shrinkwrap on conductors as they pass thru the lug. Drilled and tapped the backside of the grill to locate a batt lug bracket which was drilled for a wire tie.

2nd pic - now the wire-hungry toaster bands will not melt the wiring.

3rd pic - the adhesive on the 6 timer decals that have been hanging on a nail in my shop won't separate/release so it's time to order one. My signature red timer knob.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (220.38 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (219.39 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (293.93 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Housewiz

Postby Housewiz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 pm

The E16 is just about done so it's onto the mower deck. Interesting decal on the deck - haven't seen that one before. Think I will mask it off and display it on the finished deck.

Steve
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (267.63 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (347.62 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
Housewiz

Postby FarmallMan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Hey Steve, the Wheel Horse decks and tractors have that decal (I don't know about any of the other attachments, since I don't have any). So, that deck is post GE and was sold by Wheel Horse. I'm curious if you find yellow paint under the red. Anyway, here's a lead on a source for that decal: http://maplehunterdecalstexas.com/opeie ... ilver.aspx

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Next

Return to Restorations