Fender Removal

We Can Rebuild Them, We Have The Technology.

Fender Removal

Postby mfrerking » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 am

One of the easiest and cleanest ways I have found to remove the fenders from the original battery box is to first cut the fender from the box. Then, grind down the spot-welds from the side of the remaining box metal. If you are careful, you can hardly tell they were ever attached.

I recommend getting them spot-welded back onto the replacement box. But, most folks may not have access to a local shop with a commercial spot-welder.
Attachments
Parts 019aaa.JPG
Parts 019aaa.JPG (41.08 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Parts 018aa.JPG
Parts 018aa.JPG (56.79 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Parts 016aa.JPG
Parts 016aa.JPG (53.79 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Parts 015aa.JPG
Parts 015aa.JPG (54.93 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Parts 014aa.JPG
Parts 014aa.JPG (54.18 KiB) Viewed 909 times
mfrerking

Re: Fender Removal

Postby Housewiz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 pm

On the fender removal subject, I have had pretty good luck center-punching the spot-welds, and using several sharp/new drill bits while drilling out the spot welds to a diameter a teeny bit larger than a 1/8" aluminum rivet. A hammer and sharp chisel might be req'd to wedge between the fender and batt box to finish the job. After clamping the new batt box to the fenders (plenty of adjustment here to get it right) and installing the rivets, you can prime then paint over them or leave the aluminum heads exposed which IMHO look pretty good. And years down the road, the aluminum rivets are real easy to locate, drill out, and remove for the next (ugh!) battery box replacement.

Thanks,

Steve
www.watts-up-elec-traks.com
Home to the 3 splurges - Burly, Scary, Dough (no mo), and the on-going E16 resto.
Housewiz

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:42 am

I center punch and drill the spot welds as well, but I use a larger drill bit, then use the holes creaded to plug weld the fenders to the new battery box. That sucker is never coming off!
Attachments
100_7306.JPG
100_7306.JPG (910.93 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Jeff Antonucci

Postby colinmcc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Years ago I bought a set of these spotweld cutters: http://shop.blairequipment.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3 They also have a larger hole cutting version http://www.blairequipment.com/Rotabroach_Cutters/rota_cutters.html

The great thing is they cut only one face of the two sheets of spot welded metal, so there is no hole the whole way through which is the usual result from drilling a spot weld. So plug welding back together is far simpler.

The center pin is spring loaded and retracts into the arbour as you drill.
colinmcc

Postby Housewiz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 am

Great tool - think I'll get their kit w/various sizes. Still have to mount that solar module on Burly and the tube steel framework will have a few holes.

Thanks,

Steve
www.watts-up-elec-traks
Housewiz

Return to Restorations