Snow Thrower Bearing Replacement

Forum for factory attachments

Snow Thrower Bearing Replacement

Postby roberttroll » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 am

Needed parts

bearings SA205-16
chain #40

Here is how i replaced the bearings on my snow thrower.

First thing you need to do is tear it all down. I should have taken more pics of that process, but i didn't. It was easy enough however. Just start removing screws and you will end up with something like this:

blower11.jpg
blower11.jpg (113.61 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

Here is one of the old bearings next to the new one.

bearings.jpg
bearings.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

First i flipped the auger on it's side and dropped the rod down. If you are looking at the front of the blower i started with the bearing on the left hand side. All that needs to be done here is insert the bearing, then the locking collar. Set it flush and lock it down using the 3 bolt ring.

blower10.jpg
blower10.jpg (113.02 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

blower9.jpg
blower9.jpg (92.2 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

blower7.jpg
blower7.jpg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

Now move to the right hand side and do the same. This side has a notch, which must stick out beyond the retaining ring. This notch will sit in a U shaped plate. Install the bearings and retaining ring.

blower6.jpg
blower6.jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

Now slip on the larger retaining ring.

blower5.jpg
blower5.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

And then finally bolt on the chain gear.

blower4.jpg
blower4.jpg (91.82 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
roberttroll

Re: Snow Thrower Bearing Replacement

Postby roberttroll » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 am

The new bearings have some sort of "pimple" on them. As you tighten down the retaining ring, you will hear a audible pop. This is the pimple getting set into place.

blower9.jpg
blower9.jpg (97.11 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

This U shaped piece is what the notch in the assembly rides on. Here it is installed for reference.

blower3.jpg
blower3.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

For assembly i first put the left side in, leaving center bolt loose. Then i slid the right side in minus the U shaped piece. Next i applied lubricant between the inner wall of the blower housing and the auger assembly. Then i inserted the U shaped piece and was able to work it around until it fit into the existing notch and lined up with the screw holes.

blower2.jpg
blower2.jpg (76.2 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

Now you can tighten down the end bolts and install your chain.

Here is the first run with new bearings and digital volt meter to show the voltage drop across the pack.

roberttroll

Postby DH1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 am

Really good How To Do thread.
Thanks.
Thanks
Doug from Markham Ont, Canada
EGT200 x2, E12, E12M, E15, ET2
DH1

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:41 am

Thanks for posting this Robert. Is the chain regular number 40 or heavy duty number 40? McMaster offers both. They even offer custom length fully riveted chain, which seems like a good idea at the speed this chain is moving! http://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain/=l9ndn8
Jeff Antonucci

Postby roberttroll » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 am

Jeff Antonucci wrote:Thanks for posting this Robert. Is the chain regular number 40 or heavy duty number 40? McMaster offers both. They even offer custom length fully riveted chain, which seems like a good idea at the speed this chain is moving! http://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain/=l9ndn8

The GE snowthrower is the same thrower as many other throwers of the day. Not sure who made them Brinly? Anyhow it is the same blower as the Cub Cadet CC42 blower. I did not ask for heavy duty chain just #40 roller chain. Got my chain from the JD dealer. Cant honestly say if what i got is HD or not. The HD chain just seems to have a thicker sidewall. Either will fit. Probably a "might as well" situation. I paid JD green markup price of around $40. Yeah i didn't want to wait.

This is the cub blower. Chain for the cub blower is on ebay for $10.

cc42.jpg
cc42.jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
roberttroll

Postby Terpstra » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Sweet :bananas Answers a lot of questions I had. Was going to wait until I had my tractor back together, but now I know. Thanks
Ben T

Eh, Whats up Doc?

E20 bought brand new by my Dad
E15 bought for parts but runs great
Terpstra

Postby circlotron » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 pm

I just got done rebuilding my 36" snowblower and managed to get the auger on backwards (doesn't work very well that way...). A couple of other questions. I measured about 54 Amps load current with no load on the blower. Does that seem normal? Everything spins freely. Also, what direction should the auger spin? I've checked against the documentaton but I suppose it's possible I have the PTO outlet polarity reversed.

On the subject of chain, for my rebuild I bought Tsubaki RS40NT corrosion resistant chain for arount $40 at my local Applied Industrial. It has a matte grey zinc finish and is supposed to be more corrosion resistant than nickel plating.
circlotron

Postby roberttroll » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 pm

circlotron wrote:I just got done rebuilding my 36" snowblower and managed to get the auger on backwards (doesn't work very well that way...). A couple of other questions. I measured about 54 Amps load current with no load on the blower. Does that seem normal? Everything spins freely. Also, what direction should the auger spin? I've checked against the documentaton but I suppose it's possible I have the PTO outlet polarity reversed.

Well my stock amp meter is halfway in the green in the video. The stock meter range is 0-100a give or take and not terribly accurate. Not sure what you are using to measure the current. But the blower is a real hog.

The auger should spin so everything is moving towards the center. Which if you are looking at it would be downward.
roberttroll

Postby circlotron » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks, that helps.

I measured the motor current with an Agilent U1194A clamp meter. If looks just like an AC clamp meter but it measures DC as well.
circlotron

Postby Bushman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Great write-up! I have yet to use one of my snowblowers, but have seriously thought about cleaning them up. Nice to have picutres of the assembly in case I don't get around to finishing it right away.
Chad
GE-Electrak.com Admin/Moderator
Bushman

Next

Return to Factory attachments