DIY - Elec-Trak rear lift

Forum for factory attachments

DIY - Elec-Trak rear lift

Postby roberttroll » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 am

I was able to procure a Elec-Trak tiller some time ago. Only problem was it did not come with a mounting bracket or rear hitch. I was able to procure a DIY rear hitch, which i wrote about in another thread. That left finding a rear lift. For whatever reason Elec-Trak rear lifts seem to be like hens teeth. And when you can find them, they often go for more then a whole tractor. So i decided to see what i could come up with. I started prototyping with some bed frame steel. I do not particularly like using bed frame steel as the quality is inconsistent, but for a test it will do.

I also looked at different ways to fabricate a electric lift. I wanted this to be a low dollar project and thought i might use a hand winch. I was able to find one that ratchets in, and sort of ratchets out. More on that later.

First thing i did was make a new rear bumper out of angle iron. The top secures with a simple screw, and two bolts go through the front into the rear frame. From there i came up with this little ditty that bolts to the new bumper.

Side view

IMG456.jpg
IMG456.jpg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Attached to bumper - looking straight on

IMG454.jpg
IMG454.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Attached to bumper from - looking at the back

IMG455.jpg
IMG455.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
roberttroll

Re: DIY - Elec-Trak rear lift

Postby roberttroll » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 am

The frame sits the hand winch about level with the rear deck, and provides enough clearance that i can turn the crank from my seat and not hit anything.

From the rear

IMG458.jpg
IMG458.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

Side 1

IMG459.jpg
IMG459.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

Crank Side

IMG457.jpg
IMG457.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

And with Strap

IMG461.jpg
IMG461.jpg (30.77 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
roberttroll

Postby roberttroll » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 am

In testing i found that it works just fine. I can easily lift a 70lb battery. My biggest complaint is the bumper that it is attached to. You see the rear frame on my Elec-Trak is not straight. The bumper that i built wiggles, no matter how tightly i fasten it. So i can either build a new Elec-Trak frame with better bumper, or find a better mounting point for the bumper.

The other issue is on a production unit i would never use bed frame steel. It is generally twisted and i would have to add a reinforcing bar. If someone decided to go this route i would recommend using one inch square tube. This would be stronger, straight, and could be made to look factory.

Lastly is the winch itself. I do love the hand winch. Only issue is it was extremely difficult to find a hand winch that would ratchet in both directions. Most hand winches just free-spool. I want to gradually let a load down. The one i am using does do that, sort of. You see the winch is made for horizontal loads (boats). The ratcheting mechanism does not hold properly when reversing a vertical load.

But it does work, just not to my liking. I will post a pic of it lifting my tiller as soon as i can.

However this whole exercise has given me a better idea for a rear mounting platform that is secured to the frame, and transmission mounting bolts. My dream is a super rear platform for a multitude of attachments and a three point hitch....
roberttroll

Postby mfrerking » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:04 am

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

A way to stabilize would be to have it stab into the frame like the original rear-lift. The box end (bumper) is going to flex even more when you go to lift the 300 lb. tiller.
mfrerking

Postby roberttroll » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:22 pm

If you notice mark i made the bumper the same width as the trans-axle mounts, and there are two other holes just outside of the lift mounts. Plan is/was to run 1 inch square tube from the rear axle mounts back to the bumper. However the slight angle of the axle mounts is throwing me off just a bit. The other holes are for a cultivator that i picked up. I think it was from a david bradley 2 wheel, as it has an odd two bolt pattern that i have not come across before. I had wanted to simply bolt that to the back bumper and go.

To salvage this i will go ahead and add the stab on mounts so i can get my garden ready for spring and work on the prototype "super bumper" this summer.
roberttroll

Postby roberttroll » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 am

So Mark was 100% correct on needing the stabber bars. I added three things to the design.

1 - Stabber bars to the bumper.
2 - Diagonal bracing for mount.
3 - Replaced one each trans-axle bolt with I - bolts.

A bar is placed horizontal with the top of the support. I then connect the bar on both sides to the I bolts using chain. She cranks up real easy and there is absolutely no movement of the support frame. The rear of the tractor really does squat however as the tiller is lifted into place. I may add a cheap electric winch. So far so good. I am happy to say that if you can find a tiller, you can fabricate everything else cheaply. Need to get cracking on finishing everything up as it is almost time to get the garden ready.

BTW - This is a Wheel Horse Elec-Trak tiller.. How rare are those?

IMG486.jpg
IMG486.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

IMG485.jpg
IMG485.jpg (67.63 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

IMG484.jpg
IMG484.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

IMG487.jpg
IMG487.jpg (56.6 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
roberttroll

Postby mfrerking » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Nice work Robert.

I think you will definitely want an electric winch so you can adjust depth on the fly. Even with the 2hp motor, the tiller can sometimes bog down. On uneven ground, you will need to rise or lower. Jumping off the tractor each time you need to adjust will be a pain.

Will be glad when I get ahead of the alligators on my butt. Would love to get back to building stuff. For now I appreciate getting to see your projects.
mfrerking

Return to Factory attachments