E20 with AL40 Loader

Forum for factory attachments

E20 with AL40 Loader

Postby FarmallMan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm

I've received a few requests to make a video of the loader working. Last weekend we put the loader to use in the yard digging up a patch of pachysandra that had gone wild over many, many years so that we could move it to a neighbor's yard. The roots run pretty shallow, so I'm attempting to dig up rolls of the stuff so we could move it in carts. It worked very well for the job (I've done it by hand also, and this is WAY faster and easier) and even dealt with tree roots pretty wall also.

I use the loader pretty frequently both here and at the school garden for moving "stuff" (weeds, wood chips, compost, dirt, misc heavy things) around and also it's awesome for turning our compost piles.

Enjoy!

Nick 8-)

FarmallMan

Re: E20 with AL40 Loader

Postby Steve Duke » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks for posting, Nick !
Steve D.
Steve Duke

Postby EVWSH » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 am

Thanks for the video Nick and thanks for posting it in high-def! The loader looks great!
EVWSH

Postby FarmallMan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:21 am

Glad you guys liked the video. I'll try to get some video of future projects also.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby EVWSH » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks Nick, I imagine I'm not the only who would be pretty excited to see more videos of the loader in action. By the way, how long does it take you to remove the loader from the tractor (just the main part not the upright brace beneath the tractor)? Thanks again!
EVWSH

Postby FarmallMan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 pm

In all honesty, I have no idea how long it would take. I bought them as a set, and it has never been dismounted. In fact, I'm looking at getting an E15 for use in the garden and for other jobs around the house since the loader adds at least 50% more length to the tractor and it can be a challenge to maneuver.

I am planning a restoration for this loader since the bucket is pretty badly rusted, the valves need to be rebuilt, and the cylinder rods have some pitting. If I end up dismounting it, I'll probably make a video of the process.

Stay tuned for the next video! I've been trying to take advantage of the beautiful weather we've been having.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby FarmallMan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:22 am

Here was the past weekend's project. A new two section compost bin made from old pallets. Having the piles confined will really make turning the compost a snap! :banana

I tried something a little different this time, juggling the camera while running the tractor. If the video or tractor operation seem less than graceful, that's why. I'm just thankful it isn't on an E15!

Enjoy!

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby EVWSH » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:52 am

Great video Nick! I like how you filmed it from two different points of view; it definitely gives you a better feel for what the loader is like during operation.

Devoting one tractor to loader use seems like a pretty common theme on here so I imagine that disconnecting the loader is at least a little time consuming.

Seeing that loader in action definitely makes me want to start the build process for my own loader. For some time now I've been thinking of having an original Elec-Trak loader fabricated but unfortunately I haven't been able to justify the cost. When I take the leap the plan is to use a linear actuator for each arm and a single LA for the bucket. At max load (around 1,500 lbs/arm) it would run about half as fast as the original loader with the hydraulic setup. Feel free to let me know what you think of this setup and thanks for the video!

P.S. You very well might be the first person that has ever posted a video online of an Elec-Trak with a loader on it.
EVWSH

Postby FarmallMan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Glad you liked it. Thought the different perspective would be cool.

The there are two benefits I can think of immediately to running hydraulics. First, the two boom cylinders are run in parallel with each other as are the bucket cylinders. This means they will always be "phased" with each other and should always share load equally. With linear actuators, you have to make sure they are correctly phased, otherwise they can fight each other, twist your frame, etc. Second, if you stall the loader (max it out, or run it against the stops) in a hydraulic system, the relief valve will crack open and bleed the excess fluid to maintain the pressure at a safe level. This is something you'd have to work out with the actuators.

This loader's bucket is getting pretty thin from being neglected for many, many years. It has many pinholes, and accordingly I'm going to be having a replacement rolled. When I get some quotes, I can give you a feel for what you're in for. The rest of the loader could probably be made out of box beam. If you're going to go that route, I'd recommend biting the bullet and buying a horizontal cutoff bandsaw that can be used vertically also. It will save you lots of aggravation.

My loader's running a replacement hydraulic pump that I bought from Surplus Center, I can share that info with you. Valves are available from Surplus Center, Bailey Hydraulics (baileynet.com), and many other sources. The original valve is a Wardco valve, which was also used on Wheel Horse tractors, and is available on eBay. Also, o-ring kits are available direct from TORO.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Return to Factory attachments