Auto-UP for plow?

Forum for factory attachments

Auto-UP for plow?

Postby EtnaInst » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:41 pm

There was just enough snow today to provide an excuse to go move some of it around the driveway.

While plowing, I wondered if anyone (person or company) has provided some sort of automatic blade-lifter such that the blade will rise a bit when you back up and then resume the perfect plowing height when you move forward? This might be especially nice on a gravel driveway, where you might not want to just let the blade slide along directly on the surface.

Lacking such a facility, and getting tired of trying to reset the height correctly at each reversal, I just leave the blade in its ideal "forward" height and accept the fact that reversing would then pull back some of the snow that I had just plowed (or equivalent snow).

Some sort of big solenoid-ish thing might do the trick, perhaps, could be...
Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY I-5 and E15
EtnaInst

Re: Auto-UP for plow?

Postby fwilliams » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:44 am

Larry - I built a cow catcher type grill for use on which ever tractor I need it . From the horizontals heavy springs can be hooked to the plow or snowthrower to give " zero " weight effect either dry or with snow residue , depending on how they are adjusted . The lift can be used more easily especially when strap is doubled over for torque advantage.
fwilliams

Postby m_c_0101 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:34 pm

I’m not an expert, but I think returning the blade to a specific height would require a change to the lift mechanism. Either a stepper motor or actuator/motor with position encoding would be needed.

The simpler solution (assuming the margin of error/variance isn’t too great) would be to configure a timed circuit that runs the lift up when the tractor is shifted into reverse and down when it is shifted into forward. Of course stopping but not changing directions (i.e. going from forward to neutral back to forward) would run the lift the same direction twice and throw off the blade height. So maybe it raises the blade when the tractor is in a state other than forward and lowers it when it is in forward.

A better idea might be a single momentary contact switch on the dash that runs the lift in alternating direction for a specific time (kind of like the wall button for a garage door opener).

Tim M
m_c_0101

Postby DH1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:01 pm

What if you hooked it up to the Brake pedal?

Push on the Brake, the blade goes up.
Use the lift switch to lower back down again.

Frees up one hand when you come to the end of forward run.
Thanks
Doug from Markham Ont, Canada
EGT200 x2, E12, E12M, E15, ET2
DH1

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:24 pm

What I need is a limit switch in the up position, my wife kept the switch on and busted the lift strap! Can't believe the fuse did not blow. Gotta fix that before tonight's snow storm.
Jeff Antonucci

Return to Factory attachments