ET15 slow going up through spee and brake cutoff not working

Drive motor and electrical issues

ET15 slow going up through spee and brake cutoff not working

Postby Tom/HRS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 pm

I would appreciate some thoughts on two problems I am having:

(1) The E15 will often be slow in shifting up to a higher speed. My assumption is that the contactors are slow in operating. Am I correct? What can be done about this short of replacing the contactors?

(2) When I step on the brake pedal, the motor dies. When I take my foot off the brake pedal, the motor starts up again on it's own. Right after I send this, I plan to go out and adust the brake & stop switch to see if that corrects the problem. If my adjustment does not correct it, what else would you all recommend I look at?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Tom
Tom/HRS

Re: ET15 slow going up through spee and brake cutoff not wor

Postby FarmallMan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi Tom,

What submodel of E15 do you have (AA, BA, etc)? The brake switch operation is definitely abnormal, the RTN circuit should prevent restart without returning the speed control lever to the stop position. Getting to the bottom of it will depend on what submodel you have. Is the slow speed switching a problem that suddenly appeared, or has it been developing over time? I am doubtful that it is the contactors, but possible reasons again really depend on which submodel you have.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Tom/HRS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm

The numbers I found on it say: Model 26AE15DA Serial# DP02325, so I assume the submodel is DA. Since I wrote the above, I have installed the missing seat switch, and the seat switch now does the same as the brake switch-it will kill the motor when opened, then when the switch is closed again the motor restarts without returning to neutral. This leads me to believe that a relay or Card One is not working properly. Card One was very recently replaced with a reconditioned card.

I do not know if the slow speed switching is a new problem-the "DA" I got recently to fix up and donate to a local Land Trust. My "HA" that I have had for about 2 1/2 years also is slow to switch up at times, although not as slow as the "DA".

Tom
Tom/HRS

Postby FarmallMan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Tom,

"DA" is submodel that I was looking for. In that model (any through GA) the timing of speeds 1,2,3, and FW is controlled by Card 1, as is both the traction and PTO RTN functions. In the HA, there is limited timing function, and the RTN is handled by a relay. Is the PTO RTN working correctly (you'd have to get off the seat, the brake switch has no effect on the PTO)? Since you mentioned that the Card 1 was recently replaced, I would start by checking to make sure all the wires are on the correct terminals. Assuming all is right there, try removing the wire from terminal 6 and attempt to run the motor. If the motor runs, then there is a problem with the RTN circuit on the card.

If it does not run, the problem is elsewhere and not in Card 1. I would then use a multimeter to verify that wire 6 has voltage only when the speed controller is in the 'neutral' position, and that the voltage goes away when you advance the speed controller away from neutral (in either direction). If it doesn't function this way, then you'll have to check on the speed controller and the associated wiring. Either the START switch has failed so that it provides power on the normally closed circuit at all times [unlikely], someone goofed up the wiring when replacing switches [very possible], or someone didn't have the right switch (SPDT) and made a SPST switch work by just hooking wire 28 to power all the time [also very possible].

A good guide to have on hand, besides the HSM, is the "Simplified Troubleshooting Manual". You can get a copy from the other forum or from http://www.myelec-traks.com/Publications.html . It will show you the voltages you should have on the various wires with the speed controller in different positions and have the brake and seat switches in different configurations.

The timing of my E15AA speed transitions seem painfully slow compared to my E20, which basically goes in real time as you press the pedal down. I'll try to get a sense of the timing on my E15 and let you know what I find. From memory, it seems like they run between 1 and 2 seconds per transition.

Let me know what you find out!

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Tom/HRS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Nick,
Thanks very much for your very detailed reply. As soon as I can I will go out and see what I can do. Problem is, I mucked up my right hand on Tuesday, and now it is in a splint, with surgery scheduled for Monday. As a result, I may not get to ET until a week or two from now if I am lucky and can do it with one hand. (The splint needs to stay on for 6-8 weeks.) I guess if it is not one thing, it is another ..... I will let you know how the ET work goes.

Tom
Tom/HRS

Postby FarmallMan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you have a swift recovery!

If you do decide to tinker, the things that are easiest to do with one hand are checking the wires in the proper place and if so, removing the wire from terminal 6 and seeing if it will run. If you discover it will run, then a new card (or repair of your existing one) will be in order. Also, you'd have time to get that figured out while you're hand is recouping. If you need a hand repairing, I could probably help out. Feel free to ping me, if you need a hand. Otherwise, you can just leave it until you're feeling more up to a troubleshooting project.

Good luck Monday!

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Bushman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Tom and Nick,

If this is the tractor I sold you, i believe it was an HA submodel wiring harness. I assembled this from many parts. It should not have a Card 1. Sounds like a switch failure in the speed control, as part of the RTN circuit.

Chad
Chad
GE-Electrak.com Admin/Moderator
Bushman

Postby FarmallMan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi Chad,

In the 3rd post, Tom mentioned that he also has an HA, so maybe that's the one that came from you? Hope you're doing well!

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Bushman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Not sure how i missed that...

Doing well, Nick. Same to you. Getting rid of most of my GE stuff... Decided to buy a ZT to spend more time with my son and keep up with the yard a little easier. 42" just doesn't cut it quick enough when it takes me 2 evenings to finish it. Still keeping a few around for tiller, sprayer i made, etc.
Bushman

Postby Tom/HRS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Nick,

Yesterday I went out to look at the Elec-Trak. I went down your list with the items coming up “OK”
If it does not run, the problem is elsewhere and not in Card 1. I would then use a multimeter to verify that wire 6 has voltage only when the speed controller is in the 'neutral' position, and that the voltage goes away when you advance the speed controller away from neutral (in either direction).….

And then I came to
Either the START switch has failed so that it provides power on the normally closed circuit at all times [unlikely]…..
I looked at the START relay (medial to the Forward/Reverse relay) and moved the contact arm of the relay to make sure the points were not fused. Then to my surprise, it worked the way it should. My guess is that the relay was sticking, and that freed it. I was, and still am, still surprised that it now works right.

This leaves the slow up-shift, which is often longer than 1-2 seconds. It would be nice to have it work faster, but we can live with that if necessary.

Thanks for the timely and accurate advice,

Tom
------------------
Chad,

I did get an “HA” from you. It is working well & sends it’s greetings. The tractor I have been having these problems with is the one I got from Albany for the Burial Ground.

Tom
Tom/HRS

Next

Return to Electrical Drivetrain