Postby Jeff Antonucci » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 am

E-20 with Alltrax
Attachments
E-20 Alltrax Modified JLA.jpg
E-20 Alltrax Modified JLA.jpg (99.03 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Jeff Antonucci

Re: Jeffs Alltrax Conversion

Postby Terpstra » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm

How much power does a alltrax save. Enough to mow a extra half or full acre??
Ben T

Eh, Whats up Doc?

E20 bought brand new by my Dad
E15 bought for parts but runs great
Terpstra

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:32 pm

I really don't know. Haven't mowed with one yet, only plowed and blown snow.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby mfrerking » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:16 am

Here would be my guess...

If you run constantly, or often, in first and second electronic speeds, the toaster is in use. Lots of the stored battery voltage is wasted on resistance (heat). An electronic controller would definitely increase your run time. You would likely gain the half-acre.

If you run in third electronic speed, there are no resistors in use. You would see very little difference.

If you run in the higher electronic speeds, a small amount of power is lost due to the resistors. So, some improvement in run time might be noticed. Not necessarily close to a half-acre worth of savings.

Obviously, one way to gain run time is to use batteries with higher amp/hr capacity. Going from a T-105 to a T-125 will gain you about 20 amp/hr. Depending on how hard you are pulling current, this could gain another 15 minutes or so.

Making sure the deck motor bearings are in good shape and the blades are sharp will also make a difference.

Not an exact answer. Two cents worth anyway :roll:
mfrerking

Postby Terpstra » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:43 pm

mfrerking wrote:Here would be my guess...

If you run constantly, or often, in first and second electronic speeds, the toaster is in use. Lots of the stored battery voltage is wasted on resistance (heat). An electronic controller would definitely increase your run time. You would likely gain the half-acre.

If you run in third electronic speed, there are no resistors in use. You would see very little difference.

If you run in the higher electronic speeds, a small amount of power is lost due to the resistors. So, some improvement in run time might be noticed. Not necessarily close to a half-acre worth of savings.

Obviously, one way to gain run time is to use batteries with higher amp/hr capacity. Going from a T-105 to a T-125 will gain you about 20 amp/hr. Depending on how hard you are pulling current, this could gain another 15 minutes or so.

Making sure the deck motor bearings are in good shape and the blades are sharp will also make a difference.

Not an exact answer. Two cents worth anyway :roll:

Thanks, May need to try one of those alltrax some day.
Ben T

Eh, Whats up Doc?

E20 bought brand new by my Dad
E15 bought for parts but runs great
Terpstra

Postby colinmcc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:03 pm

I'd be interested to know what model of Alltrax you used and whether it is suitable for use on all models, (apart from the E8/10 which have permanent magnet motors).

Thanks,

Colin
colinmcc

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:27 pm

I used the Alltrax made specifically for our tractors. Harold says the regular one will put too much current through the field windings. I'm pretty sure it will work on all non PM motor tractors. A PM motor tractor could use a much less expensive controller.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby roberttroll » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:46 pm

colinmcc wrote:I'd be interested to know what model of Alltrax you used and whether it is suitable for use on all models, (apart from the E8/10 which have permanent magnet motors).

Thanks,

Colin

I am currently doing a controller writeup. Which i hope will serve as the basis of a wiki page. The Curtis 1204/1205 will work with all of the ET motors as will the 4QD. The Alltrax DCX300 ET model will not as it is looking for the presence of a field.
roberttroll

Postby mamodbasher » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 pm

roberttroll wrote:
colinmcc wrote:I'd be interested to know what model of Alltrax you used and whether it is suitable for use on all models, (apart from the E8/10 which have permanent magnet motors).

Thanks,

Colin

I am currently doing a controller writeup. Which i hope will serve as the basis of a wiki page. The Curtis 1204/1205 will work with all of the ET motors as will the 4QD. The Alltrax DCX300 ET model will not as it is looking for the presence of a field.

Please do the write-up on the Curtis controllers. I have seen this done elsewhere, but the info was sketchy at best. A good explanation with an actual schematic would be excellent! ;)
mamodbasher

Postby roberttroll » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 am

[/quote]

Please do the write-up on the Curtis controllers. I have seen this done elsewhere, but the info was sketchy at best. A good explanation with an actual schematic would be excellent! ;)[/quote]

I have the schematic and parts list for a basic install. You are correct about it being "sketchy" at best. It took me a while to figure it out, but it is oh so simple. Will post soon..
roberttroll

Return to Controller Conversions + WIKI