My son in law, Mark, found me a rusty parts E15 on Craig's list cheap. Wiring torn up but after tearing it down motor and tranny seemed fine. Chopped the rust off both ends and gave it a new look. Sent it to Mark's friend Ron for a little sandblast and paint. Comes back looking awesome.
Much better than I ever expected. I should have guessed, he converts JD vintage lawn tractors into mint condition crawlers. Now I had to step up and finish the job to match.
The tractor will be used for light pulling (need to drag around my 7 foot 14.5 inch telescope) and just for fun. No front lift or PTO wiring. My biggest problem was fabricating a foot control. A hand control was out of the question. I know from experience driving my other E15. Fumbling around for that little dash lever while bouncing around rocky New Hampshire dodging trees and steering with one hand is a deal breaker.
I Decided on the Alltrax and Curtis PB-6 throttle/switch from Jim Coate. It has built in safety features, field control and reverse. I don't need the high toque and wanted field reduction for added speed. Jim was very helpful and it arrived with all needed parts.
Using old snowblower crank handle parts and a VW brake cable I rigged up a foot pedal operating a crank arm on a shaft through the right frame.
All control wiring, except for switches and the control power fuse was done on the vertical panel prior to installing it. This allowed easy access. A small terminal block facilitated this.
This is the terminal block hookup diagram. No more than two connections at each point. An operator present seat switch shouldn't be necessary, the foot throttle is spring loaded off.
The throttle pull cable is visible on the installed board.
The Alltrax pictorial connection diagram shows the NC center tab on the throttle switch hooked to Alltrax pin 5. Their description requires this switch to close. "As the throttle moves from the off position, the Throttle Switch closes turning on the controller". The correct connection is the NO tab. This is verified by continuity. Installing wires on the Alltrax edge connector (not my first choice, prefer terminals) can be a bit tricky. Best to use a heat gun to gently soften the wire insulation. This made inserting the wires doable. Carefully check continuity to insure the blades in the wire sockets make good contact.
Hooking up the motor and battery wires is straightforward. I used three Walmart 27DC-6 batteries, two in back, one up front. Nice fit. Fired it up and it worked great. Even guessed right on the field polarity. Got it done just in time for the Elliot Tractor Show in Maine. My wife drove it in the parade. Speed control is very smooth, the upgrade is worth every penny.