E-15 Serial Location

E-15 Serial Location

Postby robear » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:16 am

Hi Folks,

Proud new owner of two 1970's E-15's both run (barely) installed new batteries (Trojans) have installed Kolpin 3pt hitch front and back but two problems are holding the project back.

1. Can't find the darn serial number! Was it on a sticker or is it on a plate/stamped somewhere? Hints on where to look please!

2. No power! It goes in low gear but won't go up even a small hill in high gear. Both tractors are doing the same thing. Power Pulse doesn't appear to do anything. One has OEM foot control other one has been modded with a momentary switch. What should I be looking at first? Is this something to do with the field weakening system? Any jumper locations I could use to test/bypass systems that may be slowing the tractor down. Conversely are these tractors so under-powered that they can't even go up a hill unloaded? Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe from sitting? Both did sit for several years undercover but near the ocean.

Any suggestions, ideas or opinions appreciated.

Robear
robear

Re: E-15 Serial Location

Postby FarmallMan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:04 pm

The model/serial number plate is located at the front of the tractor, and is riveted to top of the side panel in the front battery compartment. It's on the side opposite the power sockets.

There could be a number of reasons for this. It would be very helpful to know what your model numbers are, since the controls wiring varies. It is absolutely abnormal for the tractor to be underpowered. In fact, most people are surprised by how powerful they actually are. If you put the tractor in neutral and move the speed controller slowly, how many distinct speeds can you count? At the very front of the tractor you will find the armature resistors - many people refer to these as the 'toaster' resistors. When you drive around, are they getting hot?

Do you have a multimeter? If not, then this would probably be a good time to pick one up. You can get a pretty decent digital meter from Amazon for $20 or less. Well worth the money. Troubleshooting can be a process, so stick with it and we'll get you up and running correctly.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Re: E-15 Serial Location

Postby robear » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 am

wow ! thanks FarmallMan for your seemingly instant reply !

it's actually 24 hours since i asked and i have been busy planting and chores so i'll run out to the shop right now and have look for those magical mystery numbers...................

i'm back with the bad news ! lift the hood on #1...front right panel above batterys, inside outside....no sign of rivets or plates on the side away from the power outlets.

go to I-5 tractor #2, lift hood ......there is a power outlet on both sires, but again looking inside and out side no sign of riveted plate. ???

i do have multimeters and limited knowledge on their use.

1-5 #1 has foot pedal control with 3 speeds i think. #2 has simple make or brake switch on the running board.

that's all i can do now it's 11:00 pm and i have to get up at 5:00 am to catch the first ferry into town.

talk to you again tomorrow.

robear
robear

Return to General Discussion