E12 puller restoration.

Re: E12 puller restoration.

Postby mfrerking » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Have been told that going from 24v to 36v will increase the speed 50%. 36/24 =1.5

Will be interesting to see how that theory pans out.

What was your "Allis Chalmers 912 ET conversion"?
mfrerking

Postby pewamo758 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 am

Four or five years ago I thought it would be fun to build an electric garden tractor. I thought I may have had an original idea...LOL boy was I wrong! In the process of researching this build, I discovered Elec-Trak's. :D

I friend of mine owned a hardware store and was an electric fork lift technician. He helped me out allot with advice, parts and batterys.

If you check out the EValbum under Allis Chalmers, you find some pics and stats. It was a good machine and I mowed with it for two seasons. The only real drawback was excessive motor heat. Driving the mower deck and the hydrostatic transmission with one motor created large losses due to mechanical friction. I can totally understand why G.E. used one motor per blade on their decks.
pewamo758

Postby pewamo758 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:54 am

DSCN1226.JPG
I like the look of the weight box on the front
DSCN1226.JPG (125.21 KiB) Viewed 740 times
DSCN1227.JPG
Pulling Hitch
DSCN1227.JPG (142.8 KiB) Viewed 740 times
DSCN1228.JPG
front battery compartment
DSCN1228.JPG (145.8 KiB) Viewed 740 times
DSCN1229.JPG
rear battery compartment
DSCN1229.JPG (137.24 KiB) Viewed 740 times
DSCN1230.JPG
control panel
DSCN1230.JPG (146.51 KiB) Viewed 740 times
DSCN1231.JPG
final product
DSCN1231.JPG (144.83 KiB) Viewed 740 times
DSCN1232.JPG
DSCN1232.JPG (133.44 KiB) Viewed 740 times

After 14 months the Elec Trak puller is finally complete. I finished it just in time to find out that the local garden tractor club had folded up. I will have to find another place to test it on the track. I did pull my 3/4 ton Dodge pickup up the drive way incline with little effort.

I think Mark F had ask the question on RPM of this 24v motor running at 36v. I'm getting about 5400 RPM. The tractor moves along quite smartly at 13mph and pulls really well for its size!

Through out this project I tried to re-use everything I could from the parts I had on hand. The only new Elec-Trak parts used was a set of decals from Jim C. One side note would be the debacle I had with the paint. I ended up using rattle cans of Valspar safety yellow. Originally I had started the paint job with a partial can and applied it with a spray gun. I was only able to get part of the frame done before running out. Meanwhile TSC stores had dropped the Valspar line but I was able to get spray cans from a local hardware. Valspar's quality control is pitiful. It took 12 can to finish but I ended up buying 25 cans to get 12 that would match. Several cans were tan, one came out white and a couple brown. Not to mention many different shades of yellow. The hardware took back the can no question's asked but it is very aggravating to put on the third coat your project and it's the wrong color. Valspar paint is crap....at least in this case. Next time I will get the power coat material from Jim C and go that route.

Finally I would like to send a thank you to Jerry R and Chad B for selling me the two tractors that made this project possible in the first place.

Tom
pewamo758

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Look great Tom. I can't wait to hear how it does. As an aside Harold recommends not using the golf cart battery connections for heavy duty applications. He says he has seen them heat up and melt. He prefers the automotive type top post battery cables like GE used originally.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby DH1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:20 am

Any updates on this tractor?
How is it doing?
Thanks
Doug from Markham Ont, Canada
EGT200 x2, E12, E12M, E15, ET2
DH1

Postby Jerry38 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:41 am

Hi Tom, thank you for the "thank yous" did you find a local pulling club??
I'm building up a puller this winter and would like to see yous hookup assy, can you
post some pic's??

Hope all is well with you and your dad and the farm,

Jerry R
ETC
NWOhio :P
Jerry38

Postby DH1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:32 am

Jerry38 wrote:Hi Tom, thank you for the "thank yous" did you find a local pulling club??
I'm building up a puller this winter and would like to see yous hookup assy, can you
post some pic's??

Hope all is well with you and your dad and the farm,

Jerry R
ETC
NWOhio :P

I to am wanting to build a puller tractor out of an E12 that I have, I tried my E15 with the Alltrax at 3 events this yr, didn't have very good results but I learned a lot and am having fun trying.
Thanks
DH1

Postby pewamo758 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:13 am

Hi Jerry and Doug!

Great to hear from you guy's! Doesn't seem like we get together on here that much these days.

Anyway, I took the E12 to exactly one pull. The club didn't know what to do with a battery powered machine, so I got thrown into an "unlimited class". As powerful as this tractor is for an Elec Trak, it was easy pickins for a motorcycle engine powered tractor.

I took the group 31 battery's and put them in the my E12s for mowing lawn. I put some SLA battery's in the puller and use it for running around town since it has a 13 mph ground speed. Kind of a bummer after all that work to not use it for it's original purpose.

Jerry, the second picture below has a shot of the pulling hitch.....I'm pretty sure I have some other's around and I will try to find and post them.
Doug, if I might make a couple of suggestions. The cog belt drive works really great. It doesn't need as much tension as a vee belt which I feel lengthens the life of the transmission input bearing. IIRC you are using a foot throttle on your electric Massey. If I were to do this project again I would defiantly go with the foot throttle! Saves dash tower space and needs no modification. Also some pulling clubs require both hands on the steering wheel. Probably would use automotive style battery connectors as well. Way more surface area to move current.

I had a lot of fun building this tractor and I think you fellows will too!

Best luck!

Tom

P.S. One more thing. If either of you guys are going to pull heavy classes....1000 lbs and up, add some metal to the frame rails for strength. I did not but should have.
pewamo758

Postby DH1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 am

Thanks for the response and tips Tom, good info.
I have problems with the V belts slipping, new belts, clean pulleys, nice and tight, they still slip only in 4th gear.
3rd gear seems to be the best but I need a bungee cord to hold the shifter in gear, it pops out on me.
I thought of using motorcycle chain instead of the belts or maybe 2 x 5/8" wide belts with pulleys instead of the 3/8" factory setup.

The club I was pulling in considered it to be stock and put me in 1050lbs and/or 1150lbs class, they weigh the tractors just before you pull that's how they keep it fair. My E15 with me on it no extra weight added is 1048lbs, I run in both classes by adding 100lbs for the 1150lbs class. Gives me more runs with the tractor.
Speed seems to be a factor as the tractors that pull farther than me move faster or have a larger rear tire.
I switched the motor for an E20 drive motor with the larger dia pulley on it, speeds the tractor up 50% and did better but still can't pull more than the faster tractors. The E20 motor is heavier, puts me over weight, so I removed the front lift and bumper, put my work boots on instead of running shoes and I weigh almost the same 1044lbs

It's a challenge, you only get 2 chances, 1 run per class, every track is different and I notice a lot of tractors can move weight around on there tractor, back middle front.

Not wanting to hijack your thread I'm going to start my owe thread about my tractor.
Thanks
DH1

Postby pewamo758 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Doug,

I like the idea of a chain drive, wouldn't have to be super tight and zero slippage. Plus it's way cheaper than synchronous pulleys!

I pulled farm stock tractors for many years. It was always handy to be able to move some weight around to keep the front end down. That being said, because of the batteries, its hard to put the Elec trak on a diet lol. I had read an article some years back written by a fellow in Ohio that had built up an E20 puller. He used regular automotive starting batteries. They are a bit lighter and give up their current faster. Won't need long term capacity making a few passes down the track.........maybe I gave up tractor pulling to soon. :D

Really looking forward to hearing about your project!

Tom
pewamo758

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion