two mods to my E16

two mods to my E16

Postby jdunmyer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:00 pm

It has been bugging me that there's no restraint on the rear battery box/seat hinge, it seems like there should be "something" to keep it from opening too far and damaging things. So, I finally got a Round Tuit and added this strap:
Underseat.JPG
Underseat.JPG (80.15 KiB) Viewed 839 times

The strap is just an old leather belt that's a bit over an inch wide. The attachments consist of a piece of 1/8" X 1/2" strap iron, drilled and tapped for 10-32. Closeup is here:
strapattachment.JPG
strapattachment.JPG (80.44 KiB) Viewed 839 times

I've also modded the battery charger in several ways:
The timer now operates a relay, preventing the timer contacts from burning out.
There's a receptacle to plug in a golf cart charger.
Added an ammeter to show rate of charge from the onboard charger.
Added a digital voltmeter to better tell state of charge.
Removed the power cord and replaced it with a computer-style connector so the cord can be removed.
charger.JPG
charger.JPG (83.43 KiB) Viewed 839 times
jdunmyer

Re: two mods to my E16

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Great upgrades! I've always wanted a digital volt meter and that is a great place for it. I have my Landis controller here along with a switch to go from manual (timed) charge to automatic (Landis) charged and an AC side fuse.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby Robaroni » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:19 pm

JDunmeyer,

Sure, great idea and simple solution!

I like the voltmeter on the charger too, I guess you have an ammeter also? How much current can I expect out of the stock xformer?

Thanks,
Rob
Robaroni

Postby Furd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:29 am

The timer now operates a relay, preventing the timer contacts from burning out.

Is this a common problem with the charger timers? I have a Lester 15 ampere charger for my gasoline-to-electric conversion and if there is going to be a problem with charging timers burning up the contacts I would like to know before it happens.
Furd

Postby jdunmyer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 am

Robaroni,
My charger will push 20+ amps into the battery when it first starts, with the current tapering as the battery approaches the charger's voltage. It will decline to less than 5 amps. The old Lester charger with my first golf cart had an instruction decal that suggested turning the charger 'On' in the morning; if the current dropped to less than 5 amps within 15 minutes, the battery could be considered fully charged.

Furd,
I have several chargers and parts thereof and have noticed that if the timer contacts aren't burned out, it's common to see signs of overheating on the terminals. Also, the Molex connectors show signs of overheating.
jdunmyer

Postby Furd » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks for the reply. I haven't actually looked at the contacts on my timer, I bought the charger new (surplus) many years ago for the conversion that I started. Finally, last year, I started working in earnest to get this thing going and as part of that I purchased a pair of batteries from Sam's Club. I have used the charger but since the batteries have yet to see any significant usage the charger has only been used to keep them at a high charge level and while it did draw about 15 amperes the first time (straight from the store) I have never seen it go over about 10 amperes since that initial charge and then for only a couple of minutes at which time it tapered down to less than 2 amperes.

My charger came with only a partial chassis; back, top and sloping front. The back holds the Lester fuse assembly, the top is mostly ventilation slots and the front holds the timer, indicator light, power cord and rectifier heat sink. I will be transferring this into a NEMA 1 enclosure in the future and I will take your advice to add a sacrificial relay between the timer and the transformer.
Furd

Postby jdunmyer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:49 pm

Furd,
I don't know if the Lester uses a different timer than the GE charger, but my Lester was quite old and the timer still worked fine. Of several GE chargers and parts thereof that I have on hand, most show signs of overheating on the timer terminals and/or the Molex connector. My E16 had burned-out contacts on the timer, the PO had shorted them and used the power plug as an on/off switch, which led to the ends of the blades being burnt. That's why I installed the relay, it's an 8-pin octal style, DPDT; I paralleled the contacts.
jdunmyer

Return to General Discussion