EMP Question

EMP Question

Postby Darn Coyote » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:28 pm

I've been curious lately about how a large electromagnetic pulse (solar flare, bomb, whatever) might affect
an Elec-trak, either an original ET or one which has a newer controller system. Would there be any affect
or would the ET continue to be useable? Humor me, please - old guys need to be humored. If you have
any thoughts or comments, let me know. Thanks. Darn Coyote
Darn Coyote

Re: EMP Question

Postby pewamo758 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:04 am

Interesting thoughts. The EMP question has crossed my mind as well. I think I read somewhere that a strong magnetic pulse would burn out the semiconductor junctions in Transistors, SCR's, UJT's ect. rendering them useless. Should that be true, I guess the card one in the 12s would be toast, along with the battery charger. Maybe the later model's E14, E16, EGT120, EGT150 with their simplified electrical systems would fare better but I'm not sure......
pewamo758

Postby roberttroll » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:24 pm

What a great question. I think the answer is you will probably be OK. Seems like more damage MAY be done if the tractor is plugged in. However in either case it may not be permanent.

http://www.protectgrid.com/civil-defense-2-0/six-common-misconceptions-about-emp/
roberttroll

Postby Darn Coyote » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:51 pm

I guess I was influenced by the times, being in grade school in the 1950s. Backyard bomb shelters, emergency food and water, diving
under the desks in preparation for the nuclear attack, etc. I was thinking that an Elec-trak, with attachments such as the rototiller and
chainsaw especially, which could be charged by a small wind generator or solar panel, would be ideal for survival. No worries about where
to get gasoline, but I suppose the wind generator or solar panel might be susceptible to the EMP. Just thinking out loud. Thanks for
humoring me, and I'd be glad to hear more comments. And thanks for the link, roberttroll. Now I'm going to see what I can find out about
Faraday cages.
Darn Coyote

Postby pewamo758 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for the link Robertrol. A great read. I remember the civil defense drills being done as well when I was in first grade in 1970.
A Faraday cage is a grounded wire cage that directs an electro magnetic pulse to ground earth. Since the Elec Traks electrical system is not grounded to the chassis, could the chassis itself be used as a Faraday cage if it was grounded to earth? Hmmm
pewamo758

Postby medievalist » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:12 pm

If you have a late model OEM system (no transistors, only a few diodes and one MOV) and you ground your tractor sheet metal and leave the key turned on, I think you would survive an EMP OK. The juice gathered by the motor windings should end up in the batteries, like regen braking juice does. Worst case you lose a couple diodes and an mov, so keep your multimeter and some spares in an insulated tin biscuit box inside a grounded ammo box.

If you're running a semiconductor controller, the odds are not in your favor.
medievalist

Return to General Discussion