National Plug In Day (Sept 28th)

National Plug In Day (Sept 28th)

Postby TimNY1984 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi everyone!

Well the weekend of the 28th and 29th is National Plug In Day. This is meant for electric cars, but I'm pretty sure if you plug it in and ride it you'll be welcome. I'm taking my Fit EV to the meeting in Rochester on the 28th. I know there is already a meet planned in Ohio but that's just to far for me to go at this point.
There are currently 9 other electric vehicles, 10 counting mine, that will be there. While I don't have my tractors up and running yet I thought maybe some others from the area would like a chance to show off theirs. Plus I'd really love to see some completed and running electraks in action. It will give me that push I need to make the next step with my projects.

Here's the link,
http://www.pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=69

And if no one can bring one out, maybe you'll just stop on down to check out some electric cars!

Tim
TimNY1984

Re: National Plug In Day (Sept 28th)

Postby roberttroll » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 am

Would love to hear more about your fitEV. Wondering how many miles per week you put on, and what your electricity cost has been?
roberttroll

Postby TimNY1984 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Well I've only had the car for 1 month and 1000 miles. But I LOVE it. I was driving hybrids before (2000 insight 90+mpg) but i really had to work at getting super high numbers in the car. Plus being 14 years old I didn't get all the spanking new tech cars these days have.
I've averaged 5.5miles/Kw (roughly 185mpge) so far and that's not all back roads taking it easy driving. This car is quick, sport mode gives me tire squealing torque and enough zip to beat almost anyone off the line. But I don't drive like that often. So far I've had a 100-110 mile range, but my commute to work is only 11.6 miles round trip. Heated seats, navigation, bluetooth, and exclusivity is what I love the most. Only 1100 will be made and they are only leased. Compared to my other cars this one rides like a quick, quiet, nimble cloud.
I can't comment on the electricity cost yet, but at 14c/Kw it costs me less than 28 cents for my commute. before it was around 37cents in the insight (easy slow back roads so 120mpg round trip). But the real benefit is knowing i can get up and go when i need.
Color choice was easy as it only comes in Blue, no extra options, and the dealers couldn't add anything to the lease. Basically it was wait a few months on a waiting list to see if you'll get a car, come in sign some papers, drive home. The normal fit has "magic" seats in the rear, but since the Fit EV has the 20Kw battery in the floor the seats were raised up 3 inches and the back seats were pushed back making the magic seat not possible. But there is still a lot of useful space. Empty to full charge takes 3 hours on 220v, something like 12 hours on 120v. With my drive I could get away with 120v charging but since a free 220 volt charger came with the deal I have no issues with range at all.
I wish there were more charging stations in WNY, but I'm sure over time they will start to pop up. The bolt pattern was changed from 4x100 to 5xsomething. I wanted to try my insight rims and tires on the car, but the battery must had enough weight that they changed the bolt pattern. Oh well.

Any specific questions?

Tim
TimNY1984

Postby roberttroll » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:26 pm

My daily commute is 50 miles. The range of the fit seems to be 85m. My question, which i don't think you can answer yet, is what is the range in the winter whole using the heat? I ask because a coworker had a nissan leaf and the range was cut almost in half when the heat was turned on.
roberttroll

Postby TimNY1984 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:52 pm

It might be hard to believe but Buffalo hasn't had a snow storm yet this season so i can't tell you how the mileage will be affected :P haha. I can tell you heated seats might help negate some of the distance lost to heating the whole cabin. I can preheat the car while it's plugged into my house. So I can get in my car with 100% battery and have the car be a balmy 80° if i want. Same thing in the summer I can precool the car. I notices this morning regenerative braking was about 1/4 of what it normally is and the car was 37 degrees. I don't know if this was a glitch, but i would assume in cold weather the BMS reduces the level of charging the batteries can take. I'll let you know more as the season goes on.
TimNY1984

Return to Events