Painting the Elec-Trak's

Painting the Elec-Trak's

Postby DH1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 am

I figured here was the best spot for this. Looking for info on what to use, where to get.

What Paint do you guys use to Paint you tractors and attachments?
Thanks
Doug from Markham Ont, Canada
EGT200 x2, E12, E12M, E15, ET2
DH1

Re: Painting the Elec-Trak's

Postby Housewiz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am

Hey Doug,

100 ways to slap on the colors - this is what has worked for me. Jim Coate's yellow in spray cans - ask for several/extra white nozzles. I order a case at a time. Rustoleum grey primer on everything after a very good prep - sandblasting, media blasting, electro baths, etc. Rustoleum gloss black on all black parts. Antique white on the wheels which is a more complimentary color vs the std white. Roll on truck bedliner under the mower decks and on the bottoms of the batt boxes.

Some of the guys are powder-coating now w/excellent results. I was quoted $8-$900 to do a large frame ET. Someone out there in ET land could find a better deal I am sure.

Steve
Housewiz

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:59 pm

I have all parts blasted and powder coated in Amish country to make it affordable. Jim sells yellow powder coat to match his yellow spray paint. His yellow is not an exact match for the GE yellow. The GE yellow was a little more brown. Search on the old site if you want more info on the correct yellow. Lots of posts on that topic and on the tufts site as well.

I have found that some body work is always required after powder coating due to all the pits / defects in the 40 yr old metal. So I do the body work over top the powder coat, prime with lacquer, then paint with enamel. You cannot put lacquer over enamel, so if you mess up you will have to sand, apply more color coats of enamel and wet sand & buff.

For the new idea machines I use a color called "Soda Red" powder coat and I have a paint shop (also in amish country) that makes enamel spray bombs to match. It's not cheap. I think Jim & Harold use GE I series orange on new idea machines, but it doesn't look right to me.

Jeff
Jeff Antonucci

Postby roberttroll » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:32 am

The GE Orange is Allis Chalmers Orange.
roberttroll

Postby Robaroni » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm doing two E15 size restores. I thought about power coating but it may be too expensive. Do body shops do power coating? I have a neighbor who owns ones maybe I'll talk to him before I paint the ET's, he painted a car I restored for 700 bucks. I have a high quality HVLP system but I haven't used it in some time. Painting is like TIG welding, if you don't do it all the time you lose the touch. MIG, I just pick up the torch and off I go.

Anyway, it seems the easiest solution is using Jim Coates spray cans but that might be pricey, how many cans does it take to do an E20? Anyone know off hand?

Rob
Robaroni

Postby Bushman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:14 pm

I painted a frame and a console with Jim's spray cans a while back. Putting two coats on, I think I used 5-6 cans. I would guess it takes a case of 12 to cover an entire tractor, roughly.

For everyone else who considers painting a New Idea: I found that the Majic brand Persian #1 or #2 is REALLY close to the original color. I have yet to paint a complete machine, but a tractor that I brought back to life was completely restored with a match to this color and it looks awesome. I told him to use the International White on the hood and seat pan. He also sprayed the wheels with it. Wonderful looking tractor. Probably the best color match I've seen yet.

Chad
Bushman

Postby Robaroni » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Since I have a high quality HVLP sprayer I've decided this is the most economical solution. So far I've wire brushed, sanded or made new chassis parts. On the frame I've welded 11 gauge plate to the rear bottom of one frame also. As of 8am today 8/15/2015, I've got all the parts Rustoleum 7769 coated excepting the hoods, seat frames and front axles.

Hopefully within the next few days I'll assemble both tractors, check fits and then drill the mounting holes in the new parts

Next, I'll look into acrylic enamel paint. I took out the dents (no filler) but I'm not looking for a showroom pair of tractors, just solid well running machines that are clean and highly functional.

I have six Trojans with 3 or 4 years left but I think I'm going to AGM batteries after seeing the mess L/A batteries make.

I have a tiller, two blowers, a very good mower deck and a front blade.

Any battery suggestions are welcome.
Rob
Robaroni

Return to Painting