Painting the scraper blade in January!

Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby mamodbasher » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 am

Hi All - I had bought a 4 foot scraper/dozer blade last year as a package with an E-12 and a snowblower. It was a bit rough and needed some paint. I used it a couple of times to move some snow and it worked well, but the rusted old yellow paint made the snow stick and it generally looked like crap. Last Sunday the temps here got to 16C (about 61F) which is really unusual in Waubaushene Ontario, so I bought a couple of cans of "Home Hardware" store-brand recreational white rust paint and had at it. Turned out not bad!

I have attached some before and after pics of the blade. I was using it on my EGT 200, so I went for the white rather than the yellow.
Attachments
GE ElekTrak 015.jpg
GE ElekTrak 015.jpg (231.92 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
scaper blade 001.jpg
scaper blade 001.jpg (204.9 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
scaper blade 005.jpg
scaper blade 005.jpg (214.23 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
mamodbasher
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby roberttroll » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 am

That looks real nice! Still need to paint mine.

But please do tell us a bit more about your lift/bumper setup...
User avatar
roberttroll
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby mfrerking » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 am

Mine looks just like the before picture. Someday I may actually get a chance to clean it up and use it.

I do admire that derrick and hoist. Looks about like one of the ideas I had for a rear lift.

Nice work on both projects.

Thanks for sharing.
mfrerking
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 am
Location: Highlandville, Missouri

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby Terpstra » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 pm

roberttroll wrote:
But please do tell us a bit more about your lift/bumper setup...



Yes, More info please :D
Ben T

Eh, Whats up Doc?

E20 bought brand new by my Dad
E15 bought for parts but runs great
User avatar
Terpstra
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Kingsley, MI

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby mamodbasher » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm

roberttroll wrote:That looks real nice! Still need to paint mine.

But please do tell us a bit more about your lift/bumper setup...


Actually, the hoist is a hybrid effort. It is a rear hoist unit less the motor and gears. I got it from "BusyBee" on the old list (sorry if the spelling is wrong) along with a roto-tiller unit. The mast assembly is powder coated and looks great. I used the cheapy electric winch from Princess Auto (the Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight?) for $50. It has 1000 lb rating and I needed it to lift the roto-tiller. I just connected it to one of the 12 volt batteries in the tractor. I may decide to put in a 4th 12 volt battery to work the winch and the lights.

When I decided to use the blade on the EGT, I had a bracket for my E-12 but it would not work on the EGT, so I just modified it to fit the EGT. I still needed to get the blade to move up and down and my EGT has no front lift mechanism, so I just put the rear lift mast on the front, drilled it out to hold 2 of 1/2" bolts to support the front of the bracket - and it works very well. I used it today to plow out the rear of my driveway of very heavy snow - no problems at all and no tire chains either! I must get a video next time I do this. I now need to fabricate an arm to release the stop and turn the blade so that I can angle it from inside the tractor. I only got the scraper - it was devoid of the assembly that allows for moving it manually from the cab. That is today's project - more pics to come! :D Ken.
mamodbasher
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby mamodbasher » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:30 am

I had the tractor out again on Sunday battling more heavy snow (slush under snow) while the temps plummeted by the minute. After about 7 passes spinning the wheels and struggling with trying to push the stuff off the side of the drive, the cable on the winch snapped! It was frayed (obviously) from past use and I guess the soggy snow took its toll. I now need to redo the cable, but the way it is right now, I can see it fraying again in the future just by the way it rides on the bracket. I need to work out a pulley arrangement that will guide the cable properly. I will work on that this week and get some better pics of the mast and winch. Half the fun is in the innovations - necessity being the mother of invention and all that! Ken.
mamodbasher
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby roberttroll » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:28 am

mamodbasher wrote:I had the tractor out again on Sunday battling more heavy snow (slush under snow) while the temps plummeted by the minute. After about 7 passes spinning the wheels and struggling with trying to push the stuff off the side of the drive, the cable on the winch snapped! It was frayed (obviously) from past use and I guess the soggy snow took its toll. I now need to redo the cable, but the way it is right now, I can see it fraying again in the future just by the way it rides on the bracket. I need to work out a pulley arrangement that will guide the cable properly. I will work on that this week and get some better pics of the mast and winch. Half the fun is in the innovations - necessity being the mother of invention and all that! Ken.


Check out the writeup i have under "lifts" about my 12v winch. I had the same issue.
User avatar
roberttroll
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby mamodbasher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Check out the writeup i have under "lifts" about my 12v winch. I had the same issue.[/quote]

I see what you did there Robert - very neat install! My winch is one of the cheapies, so it does have the spool at the side and would likely not work for the under-hood installation. I see how it could be used for front or rear too. I guess I have that problem solved as my whole assembly just relocates to the rear when i want to use it for the tiller. I am going to work on getting the dash switch (via solenoids) to operate the winch though. I keep forgetting which is up and down and usually hit the wrong button on the controller. Thanks for the inspiration! :P
mamodbasher
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Painting the scraper blade in January!

Postby admin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:36 am

mamodbasher wrote:Check out the writeup i have under "lifts" about my 12v winch. I had the same issue.


mamodbasher wrote:I see what you did there Robert - very neat install! My winch is one of the cheapies, so it does have the spool at the side and would likely not work for the under-hood installation. I see how it could be used for front or rear too. I guess I have that problem solved as my whole assembly just relocates to the rear when i want to use it for the tiller. I am going to work on getting the dash switch (via solenoids) to operate the winch though. I keep forgetting which is up and down and usually hit the wrong button on the controller. Thanks for the inspiration! :P


I actually have not wired mine up to use the stock switch. The switch that came with the winch was so nice i just found a nice place to mount it. But that tractor is my box of experiments. Next one will have it all nice an tidy.
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm


Return to Painting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron