The Restore begins!

The Restore begins!

Postby Robaroni » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:03 pm

I've started the restore of my ET. Actually I have 5 chassis in one form of disarray or another and I'm picking the best parts to work from. I will likely have two or three basic tractors when the dust settles, although I suspect I only have the energy for two complete ET's.

I purchased a sheet of 18 gauge steel ($64) from my metal supplier and from this I made two rear battery boxes and the front sides for one ET (the other sides were good.... enough) but I did have enough material left for two new fronts if I needed them. Because I had the supplier cut the sheet in half to make it easier for me to work with I didn't have a long enough continuous length for the rear boxes. This didn't bother me especially but the second box has the seam on the inside as opposed to the one you see here. I also made some subtle changes on the second box to improve the overall look. I also wanted extra height in the rear boxes so I made them an inch higher than the originals.
These boxes are all spot welded but I may do a little TIG to clean things up but I'm not sure it's really needed.

The next thing I'll do is weld flat plate to the bottom of the chassis (11 gauge sheet) to strengthen the frame under the rear box where the most damage has occurred. I'll post pics when that part of the project is done.

I've purchased SS screws to put everything together and I'm planing on putting the fenders on with screws also. I noticed GE took care to have no protrusions inside the boxes where the batteries can rub so I'll have to find a solution for the screw heads once I see how much room I have to work with.

I thought it was odd that the batteries just sit in the boxes, I'm thinking of a way to secure them in case of rollovers and the normal jostling around.
On the front of the rear box, where the shut off switch is, GE cut a notch but I noticed that the fronts bow out so I've left the piece solid across figuring I'll use another system for the seat off switch (hall sensors?).

The charging circuit is basically done, now I have to do the microcontroller (uC) programming. I originally thought I'd charge each battery individually but have decided to use the original transformer and a uC algorithm for optimum charging. This way those of you who want to update their chargers will only need the new board.

Your comments and views are welcome,
Rob
Attachments
Elec-Trak Restore 1 002 small.jpg
Elec-Trak Restore 1 002 small.jpg (118.05 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Elec-Trak Restore 1 015 small.jpg
Elec-Trak Restore 1 015 small.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Elec-Trak Restore 1 014 small.jpg
Elec-Trak Restore 1 014 small.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Elec-Trak Restore 1 013 small.jpg
Elec-Trak Restore 1 013 small.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Elec-Trak Restore 1 012 small.jpg
Elec-Trak Restore 1 012 small.jpg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Robaroni
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Re: The Restore begins!

Postby mfrerking » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks for the post. Always fun to watch the progress.
mfrerking
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 am
Location: Highlandville, Missouri

Re: The Restore begins!

Postby Robaroni » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Mark,
Are the trannys for the E15 and the E20 the same, do you know?

Thanks ,
Rob
Robaroni
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Re: The Restore begins!

Postby mfrerking » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:48 am

If I remember right, they are. What I can't remember off the top of my head is whether the E-15 has a single or double pulley...?
mfrerking
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 am
Location: Highlandville, Missouri

Re: The Restore begins!

Postby Robaroni » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:31 pm

From what I can see both have two. The pulley on the E20 must have bad bearings as it has much more play than the E15 tranny. I stock bearing and it's probably not a big deal to change one out but I have several trannys to work with.

Rob
Robaroni
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Re: The Restore begins!

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Looks good! I always plug weld the fenders on. You really do not want anything that can rub a hole in a battery. BTW Powder coating can be cheaper than painting and way more durable if you find the right shop.
User avatar
Jeff Antonucci
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 am
Location: West Chester Pa

Re: The Restore begins!

Postby Robaroni » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks Jeff,
I'll keep that in mind, it depends on how much room I have inside the rear housing and if I use a system to hold the batteries down. I won't know until I do a dry run before painting. And I'll look into powder coating and see who does it here.

Rob
Robaroni
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Re: The Restore begins!

Postby Robaroni » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:25 pm

My neighbor owns a body shop. He gave, yes gave, me a gallon of PPG paint that his guy matched to the area behind the decal under the hood. He got it very close. I used my HVLP, mixed it 4-1-1 with reducer and hardener and it came out pretty nice, PPG is really good paint. I just stripped and painted the rims with Rust-oleum (also very good paint) Navajo White which is kinda of an off white that works well with the yellow. I'm going to let everything cure for a few days in the hot sun and then put the mechanical parts together. I'll post photos but doing two ET's was a lot more work than I expected.

I have 6 used Trojans with a few years left but after building new boxes and panels I don't think I want anything with acid near them so I'm leaning towards sealed batteries - advice and recommendations are welcome.

Photos to follow.

Best,
Rob
Robaroni
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm


Return to Frames

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron