seat hinge stop

seat hinge stop

Postby jdunmyer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:22 pm

It bothers me that there's no stop for the hinged seat, it just flops over center. In fact, my E15, which has a heavy stock-looking seat has the sheetmetal broken on the rear, where it hits the battery box when all the way open. My E16 isn't broken, but I still don't like the lack of support when the lid is open.

My thought is to install a couple of "stirrups", one on the front of the battery box, the other on the battery box top/seat bottom and connect them with a strap. In fact, I'm thinking about using a spare lift strap, with a "choker clamp" to shorten it.

Any thoughts?
jdunmyer

Re: seat hinge stop

Postby busybee » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:57 pm

for what its worth, I added a " U " shaped piece of rubber onto the underside of the seat top back to prevent paint chipping, this doesn't remove stress on the hinge though, anything metal for a stop limiting hinge may short on the terminals, what about a strip of one inch wide webbing from the battery box to the side of the seat top?
busybee

Postby jdunmyer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:56 pm

BB,
You're right about the possibility of shorting out the battery terminals with anything metal, that's why I'm thinking about using a lift strap or equivalent. Such strapping can be bought at Wal-Mart, and even an old leather belt would do.

I've seen appropriate "stirrups", but can't place where. At worst, I'll machine something up from the solid.
jdunmyer

Postby roberttroll » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:19 pm

My I2 came with a user installed chain that was TAC welded to the front of the box and seat.
roberttroll

Postby mfrerking » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:57 pm

I came up with a hinge stop a while back. Someday I will get back to the project :roll:
Attachments
Cover Hinge 007a.JPG
Cover Hinge 007a.JPG (37.69 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Cover Hinge 003a.JPG
Cover Hinge 003a.JPG (39.57 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
mfrerking

Postby Robaroni » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:45 pm

I have to address this in with my new battery boxes (see my post in the frames section). One thing I noticed is that GE seems to use the seat as a means to keep the sheet metal from distorting at the back of the box top where there is no angled metal to maintain rigidity.

Rob
Robaroni

Postby jdunmyer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Rob,
Here's what I ended up with: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=450 It works great, and was not a lot of effort to fabricate and install.

Jim
jdunmyer

Return to Seats