4wd Manual Transmission Inquiry

4wd Manual Transmission Inquiry

Postby EVWSH » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:36 am

Hey everyone,

I'm currently designing a tractor (that is very similar in size to the original Elec-Trak) and was wondering if there are any manual (geared) 4wd transmissions that would fit on the tractor. If anyone here has any information that they would like to share please post it here.
EVWSH

Re: 4wd Manual Transmission Inquiry

Postby roberttroll » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Be still my heart.

A 4WD garden tractor is a undertaking. I expect even more so with en Elec-Trak. One o the nicest mechanical conversions that i have seen is Dan Hoefler's CC 100. http://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/106/22390.html?1098415647

If you want to go hydraulic (ET Motor powering pump) there are other options. Here is a nice build using Case transmissions. You do not need to make it articulate. http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/s/v/svh1/images/Tractor/ARTICASE/Artic-Case.html

You could just buy four of these https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-8092&catname=hydraulic and forgo the transmission all together. That would probably be the easiest way. But the term "easy" here is relative.
roberttroll

Postby EVWSH » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the reply! From what I've been reading online it definitely seems as though it is quite an undertaking. Because of this, and a few other reasons, I've decided to partially go the hub motor route. Looking online all I could find was hydraulic 4wd transmissions and, due to the maintenance required on these, I decided that this was not the best option. However, the geared transmission on my Elec-Trak seems to be very well built and durable so I didn't want to abandon that completely. Although I'm not dead-set on this yet, I think the best option is to utilize both technologies for the drive system. To do this I will use a hub motor in both of the front wheels (something around 1kw for each) and a new brushless motor for the back wheels (which will power the rear wheels in the traditional manner through the original Elec-Trak transmission). The front wheels will be turned on by a switch/throttle on the dashboard if I need additional power, if I get into a bind (mud, ice, etc.), or if I want a higher rate of speed than the rear motor/transmission will allow. This is a great option as it allows me to completely avoid hydro and it solves the problem of having to look into a new transmission that can reach higher speeds than the one on my Elec-Trak. If I ever want to move quickly I can simply shift into neutral and power up the front wheels (the hub motors I've looked at are high-torque and supposedly can move a small electric vehicle at a max speed of around 28 mph). Right now my biggest issue is making sure the hubs/motors are able to hold all of the weight that will be on the front wheels (especially when I throw a front-end loader on it). Thanks again for your input and feel free to chime in with any more of your thoughts; I always appreciate your input!

Greg
EVWSH

Postby roberttroll » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 am

Keep in mind that the Elec-Trak transmission does not have a locking differential. So even if you power the front two wheels you will only technically have 3 wheel drive

If i understand your plan correctly you are building a front wheel "assist". Normal travel would be done with the stock transmission. If you were stuck, or wanted to go faster you would have to shit into neutral (as you stated).

I thought you were looking to build a full time 4WD machine. That of course would require both front and back drive systems to be locked together, or capable of being locked together. In that case hydro is really the easiest way out as the system is all connected.

In any case i am looking forward to your build. I keep hitting the wall with things that i want to do that i cant get to work with the stock ET frame. Waiting to see how yours comes out.
roberttroll

Postby roberttroll » Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 am

In terms of your designs, what issues have you been having with the stock frame? Are they related to the strength or shape of the frame? If it's related to the frame's strength you might like the design I'm working on now. When completed it should be stronger than almost any garden tractor out there and it will have plenty of extra weight for when I transition from lead-acid batteries to a lighter technology. Right now I'm still in the design phase but I will try to post all of my plans when I finish drafting them.

Strength of frame and difficulty on designing heavy duty attachment points. The Elec-Trak frame is designed exactly for what the goal was. Lightweight, easy to produce, yet strong and flexible. I guess what i would like to see is something along the lines of an Elec-Trak compact utility tractor. I passed up the chance to pick up a Jim Dandy/Economy tractor frame. I think that would be the perfect platform to build a super ET off of.

This thread has some nice pics on what i am thinking frame wise. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?p=583268 The Economy frame to me just seems to be begging for a 48v electric conversion.

Looking forward to seeing your design.
roberttroll

Postby EVWSH » Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 am

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure where you are in the country but I found a 1977 Economy tractor on Craigslist in CT. It looks quite pricey but it shows that there are definitely some out there.
EVWSH

Return to Transmissions