input shaft play

input shaft play

Postby jdunmyer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:00 am

I'm working on my E20, getting ready to reinstall the motor, and found play in the input shaft. I have another transaxle 'in stock' that seems to shift OK and has no play in the input shaft.

Swap 'em out or rebuild the one in the tractor? Although I'm unsure what tractor the 'good' one came from, it does have 4 speeds; I suspect it's from the E12 that I scrapped out.

What say you?

Also, is the Electric Tractor Store still in business? I sent him an email several days ago about the Alltrax controller conversion and have heard nothing.

Thanks!! Jim
jdunmyer

Re: input shaft play

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:18 pm

It's a fair amount of work to replace an input shaft bearing. There are two (inner & outer) but the outer goes first. If you have another good one I would swap that in.

I have not tried to contact Jim in a while but I just got some parts from Harold.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby pewamo758 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:56 am

I replaced the input shaft bearings in a spare transaxle I had, then swapped it with the bad transaxle in my EGT150. Much easier to work on the transaxle when it is out of the tractor. IIRC the transaxle needs to be split to change that bearing anyway.
pewamo758

Postby jdunmyer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:07 am

I wouldn't attempt to change the bearing w/o removing the transaxle; as you say, it appears to be necessary to split the case anyway.

We have the 'new' transaxle ready to install, changed the oil while it was on the bench.
jdunmyer

Return to Transmissions