Removing front wheels & Tire Pressures

Removing front wheels & Tire Pressures

Postby Tom/HRS » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:02 am

I would like to replace the front tires and repack the wheel bearings. The wheels are held on differently than anything else I have worked on. One side is held on by a bolt, and the other side by a clip. Are there any tricks or secrets I need to know when I am pulling off the wheels? What size wheel bearing seals do I need? Where are they available?

The other question I have is what is the best tire pressure to use in the tires so it will not sink in on soft ground? What is the best pressure for general use?

Thanks for the help.

Tom/HRS
Tom/HRS

Re: Removing front wheels & Tire Pressures

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Both styles were used but normally not on the same tractor! One is simply a bolt holding it on, the other is a snap ring. Most original tractors I have seen do not have front wheel bearings but rather bushings that require nothing more than regular greasing thru the zerk fitting. I like to replace these busings with real roller bearings. Any mower shop will have the correct size. Lowes might even have them. Don't use cheap Chinese replacements - they will fall apart in one season. I would use whatever pressure is listed on the tire. There were two different size front wheels & tires, narrow and wide, I think the narrow is easier on the lawn.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby Tom/HRS » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Jeff,

What you say about front wheel bushings makes a lot of sense when I consider the clip holding the wheel on. I do not understand why the designer would use a bushing instead of bearings. I have only seen this once before on a consumer grade trailer for a lawn tractor. Do you have any more info on what bearings you used? Considering the way the wheel is made, I am assuming they were needle bearings-am I correct? Do you know what size they were?

As to tire pressures, the front tires have nothing on the sidewall of the tire. The new rear tires only have a maximum air pressure of 35psi. This is what I would put in a van that would weigh 2800 lbs. empty and maybe up to 3500 lbs. when loaded. I recall the Elec-Trac weighs about 700-800 lbs. plus about 175 lbs. for operator means a gross weight of less than 1000 lbs. I expect I will have to do some rough calculations and experiment.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom
Tom/HRS

Postby Steve Duke » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:04 pm

I usually run 10 - 12 psi in the rears, and 15 - 18 psi in the front. Seems to work well for me...
Steve D.
Steve Duke

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:27 pm

They are ball bearings specifically designed for lawn tractor front wheels. I buy Toro brand if I an get them. I do not remember the part number but just go by the inner & outer diameter.
Jeff Antonucci

Return to Tires/Rims