Stock Charger Output

Stock Charger Output

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:29 am

I have completed a repair to the stock on board charger in my NI EGT-150. I replaced the diodes and heat sink. I fired up the unit before placing it back in the tractor and it appears to be putting out 40 VDC. It has been charging the six pack of six volt batteries for about eight hours now and I can't really see if they are coming up or not. They were pretty flat measuring about 1100 on the hydrometer and after eight hours they still measure only 1100. My DVOM measures about 1.77 Mil-amps across each set of posts. I'm wondering if this is about what I should expect or do I have other problems.

Thanks,

ChrisW
Northwest Iowa
ChrisW

Re: Stock Charger Output

Postby FarmallMan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:03 am

Two things to check. First, make sure the power disconnect is engaged (the "fuel" volt meter should be reading). It will not charge the pack without the power disconnect engaged.

Second, if the power disconnect is engaged, check the circuit breaker mounted to the "firewall" panel next to the fuse panel. It's a read button with a number on it, which is probably 50 or so. Push it in with your thumb. Push HARD, but don't hit it. If you get a definite click, it was tripped. If you just get a sore thumb, it isn't blown. We'll go from there.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Bushman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Chris,

Checking the DC output is only half of the answer. Measuring the AC output is sometimes useful in determining status. Should have less than 1 Volt AC output. That confirms both diodes are good AND the capacitor is doing its' job. Like Nick said, though, the easy things come first, like disconnect and circuit breaker. The Fuel Use gauge should increase at least a little when the charger is turned on.

Chad
Bushman

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 am

Thanks fellas. This has been an involved repair. It all began when I was unable to charge the three 12 volt batteries that were in the tractor previously. After I finally discovered that the diodes/heat sink were blown (and after frying one circuit breaker), I thought that I had it on the mend. Au contrar! I thought that I had checked the replacement circuit breaker having heard what I thought was a "snap" when I pushed it. It wasn't. I went in this evening, checked continuity between the "30" wire and both sides of the breaker and sure enough there wasn't any! I Pushed in the button and viola, charge, get going again! No Dr. Pepper but hopefully by tomorrow my flat ( 6 volt) battery pack will be back among the living. By the way for those who choose to read all of this what is the general opinion on replacement of the OEM disconnect switch? It is advertised to be much more reliable and isn't supposed to lose as much current in use. Is it worth the investment?

Thanks again

Chris W.

Northwest Iowa
ChrisW

Postby Steve Duke » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:53 pm

Yep replace the OEM disconnect switch ! IMO it was a weak link to begin with, and now the survivors are all over 40 years old....
Steve D.
Steve Duke

Postby FarmallMan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Glad to hear things are starting to turn around.

I have had good luck cleaning up the "internals" of the OEM power disconnect. It may be silly, but I just don't like the way the new ones look so I'm willing to take some extra time to revive an original. I may very well be loosing some power, but so far it hasn't proven to be an issue for me. Then again, if your unit is really bad off, the smart money is on a new replacement.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Bushman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:58 pm

Glad you got it nailed down!

I have quite a few of the new disconnects from Jim Coate. I won't build/operate one without it. You have to open up the original hole in the console a little, which I usually do with a step-drill, and crimp on a new lug for the positive battery cable.

If your current disconnect is working well and feels "tight" when engaging, it might be worth cleaning up and running for a while.

One other large heat dissipator/loose connection point is the fuse block. Littlefuse makes a nice plastic one available at most auto parts stores and Radio Shack that screws right in place with a little opening of the screw holes in it. You'll need some 2-1 stab adapters, or re-crimp new terminals on everything and bundle pairs into one terminal for each fuse connection.
Bushman

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:34 am

Again thanks much for all the good information and advice. After an overnight charge I'm back in the saddle again! One more charger related question: I have found replacement plug connectors from Lawson Products, (des Plaines, IL) for the six wire disconnect coming from the timer. What I don't have are the bi-frucated pins and connectors that go inside them. Does anyone have a part numbers for those. I don't recall seeing them in the parts listings from Clean Power??

Chris W.
Northwest Iowa.
ChrisW

Postby FarmallMan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:31 am

They're just molex pins. They used to carry them in my local Radio Shack but I'm not sure if they still do or not. Second choice is to contact Jim at www.electrictractorstore.com and ask for the pins. I know he has the connectors and the pins.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Return to Chargers