NOCO 3 Bank Charger

Re: NOCO 3 Bank Charger

Postby EtnaInst » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Some folks on the old ET forum have suggested that the NOCO Gen3 3-bank charger doesn't really charge the flooded batteries all the way.

That does appear to be true. I've been checking the 15-month-old Crown batteries in the E15. After leaving them on the Gen3 overnight, they appear to be full, based on voltage, but the specific gravity lags a bit; I saw values from 1.235 to 1.255. I've been giving the E15 4-hour (or so) zaps with the stock charger overnight and then measuring the s.g. the next morning. It's gotten it up into the "good" range after a couple such shots; this morning it was 1.265 all around.

Next, I'll try the stock charger on the I-5 batteries, currently (!) ranging from 1.235 to 1.270. This time, I'll set it for a "full" night's charging to see if that brings all of them up together in one fell swoop. These are also Crowns, about 28 months old.

Does anyone have detailed s.g. measurements from using other 3-bank chargers (MinnKota, etc.)?
Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY I-5 and E15
EtnaInst

Postby roberttroll » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Humph. I use sealed batteries.

However i do charge them using different chargers every once in a while for this exact reason. Each charger has it's own charge algorithm.
roberttroll

Postby EtnaInst » Wed May 27, 2015 1:15 pm

If you could find a MinnKota 330D for about the same price as a NOCO GEN3, which would you choose? Both are 3-bank 10-amp/bank smart chargers. Both are intended to be directly wired to the batteries. Both are from the marine world, where waterproofness is important. Is one of them more reliable, faster, nicer to the batteries, or whatever?

Many thanks!
Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY I-5 and E15
EtnaInst

Previous

Return to Chargers