best charger for battery longevity

best charger for battery longevity

Postby cobragt427 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:32 am

I am thinking about buying a set of six crown 6 volt batteries and am curious what is the best charger to maintain it's life. I would prefer a trickle charger that is a desulphator, and does whatever else a charger needs to do to help battery life. It'd be really cool if the charger can do different voltages. Thanks.
cobragt427

Re: best charger for battery longevity

Postby fwilliams » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Batteries are like electronics in general . They love constant temps between 40 and 80 degrees F . Deciding on on your storage and usage conditions should be factored in . Batteries also do not like long periods of no work . Ni-cads got this rap but it applies to most batts . Bank chargers seem to be a favorite . Others are way more familiar with what is available.
fwilliams

Re: best charger for battery longevity

Postby roberttroll » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I use desulphators. They do indeed do strange things. On old beat batteries they do seem to increase the SG of the cells. On new cells i cant say that i have seen any difference at all.

Basically i would not discount a charger because it does not have desulphation capability. I use a 3 bank marine charger and am more then happy with it. However i do rotate chargers every once in a while as they all have different algorithms. Any good 36v charger that puts out 20a or over, or multiple bank chargers that put out 5a or over should be fine.

Lots of good ones here - http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/36-volt/
roberttroll

Return to Chargers