Adding A Smart Charger

Re: Adding A Smart Charger

Postby mfrerking » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:43 am

I replaced the original lights with LED. They are seriously bright. 1,500 lumens per set.

They were quite pricey when I first installed them. Have come down a bunch. Here is a link to similar or same light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270842399540?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_6958wt_1118

The install was fairly straight forward. Used 1/4" lexan and sandwiched the lights to the grill.
Attachments
Headlights 006a.JPG
Headlights 006a.JPG (54.28 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Headlights 007aa.JPG
Headlights 007aa.JPG (44.68 KiB) Viewed 539 times
mfrerking

Postby 1southcarolina » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:32 pm

on the led's setup, did you have to do any special type of wiring? What about the mounting? any special cutting to make them fit?
Thanks for the information.
1southcarolina

Postby mfrerking » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:12 am

The LED lights are "stackable". Meaning you can bolt them together. So, if I remember correctly, I did that. Then I cut a piece of 1/4" Lexan the same size as the original headlight cover.

While first holding everything in place, I used a sharpie to mark a few holes and drilled them first. Then, I removed the LED covers and placed them on the Lexan lens and used them as a pattern to drill the remaining holes. You will have to purchase longer screws (metric) for assembly.

I then just held the pair in place while sandwiching to the grill. No grinding.

The lights can be wired either 12v or 24v. So, if you wanted to modify your wiring slightly, you could run leads to operate at 24v to be more efficient. I used a small 12v resettable relay. I think. :roll: If I did, I can't remember why at this point. But, I know I run through a fuse.

I installed two switches so I could do Hi and Low beams. Normally run both when mowing at night. Like to really light things up. ;)

Not too hard to install. Most of the time spent was shaping the lens and drilling the holes.

I think Harold Z. just used one light per side and fashioned a filler plate on his ETG-200 he had in Vermont several years ago. They were between $60 -$70 each at that time. The price has thankfully come down.
mfrerking

Previous

Return to Chargers