Adding A Smart Charger

Adding A Smart Charger

Postby jtcweb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Hello,

We want to use newer technology for charging our E20. While on-board charging would be nice, I'm not sure having the charger off board is a deal breaker. What have the rest of you done?

Thanks,
Jerry
jtcweb

Re: Adding A Smart Charger

Postby FarmallMan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Jerry,

The twist-lock accessory port makes a very convenient hookup point for an external charger. It's essentially in parallel with the original charger.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby jtcweb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:09 pm

We were thinking about a 3 bank charger, so the accessory port wouldn't work for that. Is the advantages of a 3 bank charger real or hype?

For less than price of a 3 bank charger I could get three 12V smart chargers and just do some wiring to make it easy to hook up. Also if I've been mowing and want to take an hour break I could still use the built in charger as it wouldn't get up to the top off area of charging while I ate dinner. That would give me the convenience of an on-board charger to do some opportunity charging and smart chargers for full charging/battery maintenance. Just a thought.
jtcweb

Postby roberttroll » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Check the amperage output on the 12v chargers. You really need 6a at a min. Might you be looking at low amp 12v smart chargers?
roberttroll

Postby jtcweb » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:55 am

jtcweb

Postby mfrerking » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:47 am

I have not used the brand/model of your link.

I have had experience with NOCO Gen-3 and the Dual Pro 3 bank chargers. Both have held up well. I like the Gen-3 best. It is quieter and does not get near as warm as the Dual Pro.

Both are smart chargers that can handle various styles of batteries. They also have a maintenance mode. Once fully charged, they monitor the batteries or kick on every 24 hrs to keep them topped off. They both will compensate for temperature variations.

Minn Kota also makes several models. If money were no problem, the high end units have some really neat features (programmable, digital readouts, amp input data to keep track of battery performance...

While the individual charger will do the job, I think the 3-bank systems will hold up better in the long haul and have more features.
mfrerking

Postby jtcweb » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:36 pm

We decided to go with the NOCO Gen3, and want to mount it onboard the tractor. I'm assuming there would be space to remove the existing charger and put it there, but that would make any switches and/or displays very hard to get at.

What have the rest of you done?
jtcweb

Postby mfrerking » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Here is how I mounted mine. But, I I have up-graded electronics to a controller.
Attachments
Complete 005aa.JPG
Complete 005aa.JPG (44.67 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Assembly 004aa.JPG
Assembly 004aa.JPG (44.09 KiB) Viewed 867 times
mfrerking

Postby mrfixit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:08 am

While I use a couple different external chargers,I like the factory onboard charger as much as any of them.The automatic ones don't,according the specific gravity readings,always fully charge the batteries. At least with the factory charger a person can give the batteries an equalization charge if needed.
No matter what charger you use,an accurate temp compensated hydrometer to measure specific gravity is really the best way to check if the batteries are getting fully charged.
Most of my tractors have the original charger in them,but also an anderson connector to use the off board charger on them if I want.
mrfixit

Postby jtcweb » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:35 pm

mfrerking - Did you replace the headlights as well?
jtcweb

Next

Return to Chargers