drive motor stars but dies immediately

drive motor stars but dies immediately

Postby mac » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:11 am

my E-15 drive motor starts with advancing throttle forward, but dies immediately.
All other power application to mower and lift work fine.
Moving throttle to reverse either does nothing or drives power meter erratically in negative direction.
could it be micro switches on throttle assy or pitted F/R relay. Relay responds to F and R throttle actions.
Any help appreciqted.
bob
mac

Re: drive motor stars but dies immediately

Postby pewamo758 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:33 am

My E12s was doing the same thing the last time I mowed. One of the contacts on the F/R relay was welded together. I flipped the panel forward, pried the contact apart, shined it up with some emery board and was good to go. This is only a temporary repair though.......The relay is in bad shape and will need to be replaced. It is the Achilles heel of the E12s. I believe the E15 has a similar relay.
pewamo758

Re: drive motor starts but dies immediately

Postby mac » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:24 pm

I have replaced both relays and verified the normal and activated functionality of all mswitches on the throttle assy. The problem remains unaffected. Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Bob
Colchester
mac

Postby FarmallMan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:02 am

Does it get up to speed before shutting down, or is it just a quick on/off?

I have actually seen the plastic buttons of microswitch (the ones that activate the switch when pushed in) get worn down substantially and cause erratic performance. The problem was apparent until the switches were actually removed from the controller assembly.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby mac » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Thanks Nick.
I did remove and evaluate each mswitch, but will re-look at physical condition of the buttons.
Bob
Colchester, VT
mac

Postby FarmallMan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:04 pm

A couple of other things to check are the push-on terminals for connecting the wires to the control card to make sure they are still sound. Also, try bypassing the brake switch to rule that out. Try wiggling the various wiring harness connectors (the white plastic ones) to see if you can make the controller stop working all together. If you can 'break it' by wiggling connectors, then you know where to focus your efforts.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby mac » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:00 am

Thanks Nick,
Will do.

Bob
mac

Return to Drive Motors