PTO Contactor Problem

Re: PTO Contactor Problem

Postby jtcweb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Jeff just to be clear, the relay that controls the contactor is what you had to replace?

Thanks,
Jerry
jtcweb

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:10 pm

yes - I hope that works for you.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby jtcweb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Jeff,

Could you see that relay doing anything (switching back and forth) or did you just replace it to see if that solved it?
jtcweb

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 pm

It's been too long - I don't remember - sorry.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby Bushman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Sometimes the original relays still look like they are working fine because the coil is good and it "pulls in." However, most of the time the contacts blow off or are worn out and no longer make contact, so even if you're watching it move, it may not be completely working.

Chad
Bushman

Postby FarmallMan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 pm

If the 1RTN relay drops out, the switch on the dash would have to be turned from ON to OFF (allows 1RTN to seal in again) and back to ON again before the contactor should close. If the 1RTN relay isn't chattering, then the set of contacts that seal in the relay are fine. If 1RTN is chattering, it could be that they are bent and not functioning correctly.

If 1RTN appears to stay sealed in, you can check the voltage drop across the relay by probing both sides of the contacts feeding the PTO contactor (wires 27 and 34). As Chad said, it's pretty common for the relays to get messed up or oxidized over time. I would also check the voltage drop between 1RTN and the PTO coil (both ends of wire 34).

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Previous

Return to Stock Control System