E16 blown Varistor

E16 blown Varistor

Postby John Mc » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:09 pm

My brother-in-law is fixing up an E16 as a wedding present for my brother. I'm digging up some parts for him here and there.

We have a small circuit board, about 1"x1" containing a few diodes, a varistor, 3 orange wires, and three black wires. (I'm not sure what the board does - fortunately, I'm not the one doing the repairs. Hopefully the description will give enough info for more knowledgeable folks to figure it out.) The varistor is blown, and no part numbers are readable on it. A guy 10 minutes down the road with a few old Elec-traks rummaged in a parts bin and pulled out a Radio Shack varistor, in its original packaging. He said it MIGHT be the right one to use. Can anyone help me figure out if the varistor listed below will work in the E16 control system? (Info is from the back of the package in came in)

Radio Shack part number 276-568

Absolute Maximum Ratings
RMS voltage: 130VAC
DC voltage: 175VDC
Peak Current: 6500A (8 x 20uS)
Energy: 70 Joules

Electrical Characteristics
Varistor Voltage (minimum): 184V
Varistor Voltage (nominal): 200V
Varistor Voltage (maximum): 246V
Typical Capacitance: 1900pF
Rated Power: 1W
John Mc

Re: E16 blown Varistor

Postby roberttroll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:28 pm

That one won't work. I have a part number somewhere which I will dig up. However both Jim at the electric tractor store and Harold Z should have them. Harold's catalog/contact is on our front page.
roberttroll

Postby John Mc » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks.

We can't really wait for shipment of a part. I was hoping to pick it up at a Radio Shack or something. The wedding is this Saturday. We are hoping to have the tractor up and running by the wedding, but have travel and various pre-wedding activities to attend to. If I can get enough info to pick something up locally, that would be a big help.

Brother-in-law who is doing the repair work is an electrical engineer, so may have the knowledge to make an appropriate substitution if we can get the specs for the original part.
John Mc

Postby roberttroll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Radio shack did not carry a replacement. Voltage is in the area of 48v on the low end. Might be 42.. The one you have is too large.
roberttroll

Postby roberttroll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:42 pm

roberttroll

Return to Stock Control System