E15CA Loss Of Drive Motor Control

E15CA Loss Of Drive Motor Control

Postby Bushman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:58 am

Lost both forward and reverse in my E15 yesterday while mowing some pretty tall grass. I had actually stopped, then got back on and it wouldn't move.

I have three questions:

1. I have no coil voltage for the 'L' contactor, but speed control inputs to Card 1 are fine. Is it common for SCR102 to go bad?

2. I stockpiled new components for these cards a while back, but have no replacement for the GE SCRs. What is everyone using?

3. Does it make sense to bypass that circuit for the 'L' coil by tying wires on pads 4 and 5 together permanently? Seems ok to do that to me, but I'm not sure what everyone else has done and the effects of it.

Thanks,
Chad
Bushman

Re: E15CA Loss Of Drive Motor Control

Postby fwilliams » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:22 am

1 The answer is yes
Last edited by fwilliams on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
fwilliams

Postby FarmallMan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:15 am

I don't think it's uncommon for the SCRs to fail. I've replaced some on tractors I have worked on and sourced the replacements from junk cards I've stockpiled. I have talked to Jim C about them, and when last I checked (about this time last year) he did have some for sale. You could check with him.

As far as modifications go, I'm a believer in keeping it original. Especially when it comes to safety features. My 2 cents.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Bushman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:13 am

I believe and concur with both responses. However, I can't see pulling a good one from a card that can also be repaired for use in another machine. After all, soldering irons can do damage to these delicate cards, and since I'm a believer in solder wick, I take great care when de-soldering or re-soldering components. I think I'll look into the GE replacements a little bit, then inform everyone on what can be a safe replacement for the SCRs. Surely someone has done this already, and that's the response I was looking for. For now, I've worked around the board, tying pads 4 and 5 together for Start Switch - L Coil interaction. Working good, but I do notice un-safe conditions when switching from F-R and my seat switch being disabled.

At some point, we need to consider replacing old cards, instead of pulling components from them. Whatever will we do!?
Chad
GE-Electrak.com Admin/Moderator
Bushman

Postby fwilliams » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:40 pm

See the experts at the dealers.
Last edited by fwilliams on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
fwilliams

Postby EtnaInst » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Steve Shore (<steve@housewiz.com>) has a supply of new E-15 card #1 boards, populated and ready to use, as well as a supply of the individual components. He also has a tester that can exercise a card #1. These cards are not original GE stock but were made, I believe, by an engineer who decided to replicate the cards. I'm using one in my E-15.

The only "compatibility" issue was that the little L- brackets that hold the card in place have smaller holes than the original and therefore need a smaller sized bolt.

I believe that NTE (a manufacturer of "obsolete" components) has SCRs and unijunction transistors that are close enough to the GE parts to work. (The SCRs act as switches for the various relays and contactors and the unijunction transistors act provide time delays for moving from one electric speed to another.)
Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY I-5 and E15
EtnaInst

Postby Bushman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Fred - Even those on eBay are NOT exact matches to the GE components. The number is C106B41. I haven't been able to locate specifications on this component, although most of what does come up in search shows 4A, 200V components. I'd like to believe that, but no way to know for sure. I guess I can buy some NTE equivalents at those ratings and try it out.

SOMEONE has to know these things or these machines won't persist, albeit this is only ONE of the many sub-models, but still...

Being the working engineer that I am, I like to build a solution instead of buying one from someone else. To me, if I just bought a whole card and let the bad one sit, that takes away from someone who might really need it down the road who isn't capable of doing the repairs like me. I was hoping a similar someone had already found good replacements and was willing to share the info.

Thanks.
Bushman

Postby gus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:12 am

when you jump out the l control you will eventually blow up the reverse relay, as you have removed the safety delay

the new cards from Steve have a generic SCR which seems to work.
gus

Postby FarmallMan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Chad,

Check with Jim C., he has board components. I also prefer to repair when I can.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Return to Stock Control System