Hustler Zeon

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Re: Hustler Zeon

Postby Evblazer » Wed May 28, 2014 11:02 pm

There may be one a couple hours from me at a dealer for 3500 with 34 hours on it do you think that might be worth it if I can make sure it actually works and all? I do have a dealer about 10 minutes away that said he has a few people who got them and were happy with them so I may have some support. I just moved to a house with about 2.5 acres in an area of Texas that either will have grass growing 8 months through the year or for 2 months then drought and mowing some weeds.
It might take a few days to mow with recharge breaks but given the heat it might be a nice break for myself. When I mentioned the Zeon he believed they had stopped making them since he was unable to order one for someone and they aren't in his 2014 literature. I may ask him to see if he can try ordering one just in case but for now I'm paying too much a month for someone to do a bad job mowing my lawn. :oops:
Shopping for gas mowers now :? really sad I made the quick decision years back to give away a non op I5/E20/2xE1_s I had found weeks after I bought then for 1k :cry: and my company said hey your moving to TX go now.
Evblazer

Postby mfrerking » Thu May 29, 2014 5:37 am

Evblazer,

From my other post: http://wichita.craigslist.org/grd/4384070996.html

Probably about eight hours or less from you depending on where you are located.

Yes. Hustler quit building them. :cry: That's why the prices are way down. Cub cadet is still building a ZTR. Don't know much about them.

I really like my Zeon so far. If I had the extra money, I would get a second one.
mfrerking

Postby Evblazer » Thu May 29, 2014 4:11 pm

The cub cadet lists the closest dealer at four hours and they say they don't have one and won't unless I buy it first at 5k and they had never tried so weren't sure they could. So it may be hustler or nothing. I may call the texas dealer see if I can go take a look and try to get them lower than 3500 since I could buy 2 for 5k with traveling expenses. Getting a backup would be nice I could swap rides or both of us could mow at once.
The other option is mean Green but their quote was 15k for maybe enough juice or 18k with a lithium pack that is supposed to mow my lawn twice.
Evblazer

Postby jtcweb » Thu May 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Checked with the local Hustler dealer and he just quoted me $5K and it would have to be ordered and I would have to commit to buying it.

The Cub Cadet dealer normally has one in stock but it was sold so they have another one on order. Price $4K and they have sold several this year. The salesman called it "freakishly quite".
jtcweb

Postby Evblazer » Thu May 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Just got back from a three hour round trip to try out the hustler. Turns out it is a return they picked up as a wife didn't want her husband using it because he can't see well enough anymore.
It has about 36 hours. New battery set installed under warrantee which concerns me some but possibly it was just due to sitting prior to sale, mass overcharging and/or some other abuse. The thing is so quiet it is disturbing. My little lawnbott seems much louder. The dealer is on a major road so that may be some if it but even with the blades on seems very quiet.
Besides the price being a bit higher than other options further away I'm worried I'll tire of the limited range and small deck. The cuttings look ok but left a lot of clippings where my grasshopper turned grass into barely more than dust. I'm wondering what if anything it'll do with leaves?
Evblazer

Postby roberttroll » Thu May 29, 2014 11:37 pm

not having seen one of these i wonder if one could build a tow-able range extender for them? It does not seem that your initial impression was that it would meet your needs. If that were the case for me i might consider finding something used before purchasing a new one.

Evblazer wrote:Just got back from a three hour round trip to try out the hustler. Turns out it is a return they picked up as a wife didn't want her husband using it because he can't see well enough anymore.
It has about 36 hours. New battery set installed under warrantee which concerns me some but possibly it was just due to sitting prior to sale, mass overcharging and/or some other abuse. The thing is so quiet it is disturbing. My little lawnbott seems much louder. The dealer is on a major road so that may be some if it but even with the blades on seems very quiet.
Besides the price being a bit higher than other options further away I'm worried I'll tire of the limited range and small deck. The cuttings look ok but left a lot of clippings where my grasshopper turned grass into barely more than dust. I'm wondering what if anything it'll do with leaves?
roberttroll

Postby Evblazer » Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 am

Since it is just a wee litle ztr and im obese id be worried about pulling much.
I think id need to shortly go to something like EnerDel ME330-049 Energy Module or similar to get more range.
New they are 4999 for old stock and demos they were almost 7 originally which for something that cant perhaps do an acre without anything but grass really put it in a weird market spot I thought. Id like one for sure but wish the twomin kansas were closer i could swap mid acre and plug one in.
Evblazer

Postby mfrerking » Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 am

Evblazer wrote:Just got back from a three hour round trip to try out the hustler. Turns out it is a return they picked up as a wife didn't want her husband using it because he can't see well enough anymore.
It has about 36 hours.

I hate to hear you were disappointed after doing a three hour round trip.

New battery set installed under warrantee which concerns me some but possibly it was just due to sitting prior to sale, mass overcharging and/or some other abuse.

Most likely needed to be replaced due to the charger and neglect. New batteries will give you a chance to take proper care of.

Evblazer wrote:The thing is so quiet it is disturbing. My little lawnbott seems much louder. The dealer is on a major road so that may be some if it but even with the blades on seems very quiet.

Not sure why quiet would be a bad thing. Unless, you get aggravated by a neighbor's noisy mower disturbing you while you quietly mow your grass. :?

Evblazer wrote:Besides the price being a bit higher than other options further away I'm worried I'll tire of the limited range and small deck.

The limited range is a bummer. If a new battery pack will get 60 - 75 minutes of run time, hopefully you could get half the yard mowed one day and the other half the next.

The two in Kansas may be gone. The Craigslist link no longer works.

Evblazer wrote:The cuttings look ok but left a lot of clippings where my grasshopper turned grass into barely more than dust. I'm wondering what if anything it'll do with leaves?

The blade tip speed seems much higher than on the Elec Traks. I've never really paid attention to the size of the clippings on either. It might be possible to do a Gator Blade upgrade.
mfrerking

Postby mfrerking » Sat May 31, 2014 1:58 am

Have spent some time studying the layout to see if there was any possibility of installing T-105s.

It seems as though they built the machine around the original batteries. The batteries sit in a counter-sunk tray that just does fit the dimensions of the batteries. Without sitting down in the counter-sunk area, T-105s would be way too tall. So, in my opinion, without major modifications, T-105s will not work.

If there is a 6 volt golf cart style battery that is less than 6.5" wide, it might be possible to get six under the seat if they are no longer in length than 9.5". Then, an additional battery box could be added to behind the seat for two more. Not looking real promising...

At one time, I think I saw some smaller golf cart style batteries at Sam's Club. Anyone else know of non-standard size 6 -volt batteries?

With minor modifications, it might be possible to use T-1275s, which would give a little more amp/hr more capacity.

Just thought of this :geek: ....It might be possible to build a new seat/battery box lid that is about four inches higher....then the height of the battery might not be an issue....will have to study that some more. :ugeek:

Here is an interesting post I found today on the Hustler Zeon Blog about the charger: http://hustlerzeon.blogspot.com/2011/04/test.html

"Low battery water seems to affect the charger function such as not allowing the green light to indicate the charge cycle is complete and as a result the charger will continue the charge cycle indefinitely." :shock:

"The charger should switch off at 20 hours but we have had chargers that in given situations will not turn the green light on to indicate the end of a charge cycle and they then will continue charging." :shock:

"In other situations these same chargers will charge and turn off as they should. If the charger is interrupted in any way while being connected to the Zeon, for instance a power surge or switching the charger off and then on, the charger will begin a new complete charge cycle and will probably overcharge the battery pack." :shock:

"To insure that the battery pack does not get overcharged, remove the charger cable from the Zeon charging receptacle after 20 hours of charge time." Ya think? :roll:

"If the Zeon is used within 30 days do not recharge as long as the display shows 10 bars. If the Zeon is to be stored longer than 30 days the winter storage harness can be attached. If the storage harness is used the battery pack can then be charged every 45 days for the 20 hour period including disconnecting the charger after 20 hours." Not sure what a winter storage harness is?

If this is a blog associated with Hustler, then they were aware of the charger issue in 2011. Wonder what company official made the choice to keep this charger? Unless you are going to babysit it, my advice is to replace it before installing new batteries.

I have noted the deck motors shut down and gives you an opportunity to get back to the charger. I measured the voltage and it seems it is set up to shut down well before completely discharging the battery pack. I measured between 12.30v and 12.50v. So, it would seem to about 50% DOD. This is good, if true. Will do some more checking to verify. I am experimenting while it still has the original batteries. Want to know what it is doing prior to battery replacement.

Also, I was recently told that it cost Hustler just over $5,000 to build each Zeon. This did not surprise me.
mfrerking

Postby Evblazer » Sat May 31, 2014 7:30 pm

The dealer told me something about the charger today. Said it would never turn fully green or off do to unplug it. Was nice that he told me I thought. Brand new pack at 36 hours will make them aware of the issues I guess.
So to clear up my last post. I was undecided on it. I had the car so it was just a test drive trip anyhow. Wow the traffic at the dealer is loud! At home it sounds quiet but not zero noise like at the dealers. All the noise is the blades and air but it should keep the wild bunnies frogs and other creatures fair warning to move.
So got the go ahead from my wife and the use of her jeep to go pick it up. It seems they had it sitting for a year using it to mow the store sometimes and finally posted it on craigslist at a time I was looking. Gotta go be nice to my wife now. I have an emeter/link10 around I may try and put in there if I can find a nice spot and it seems like a good idea later.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.66 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Evblazer

PreviousNext

Return to Factory Electric Tractors