Hustler Zeon

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Re: Hustler Zeon

Postby mfrerking » Sat May 31, 2014 8:48 pm

I noticed on Hustler's website they have or had a quick charger for the Zeon. Supposedly would recharge the pack in 5.5 hrs. Might inquire about it and find out the specs...

Chances are good it is not a multibank unit.
mfrerking

Postby Evblazer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:00 am

I saw in a blog somewhere it was $600 I'm going to find out if it might have gone down. Monday i'm going to try to get as much info as I can get from my local dealer. I hope to order a mulch plate and some spare blades. I'll see if I can grab a price sheet, accessory sheet or something. <my local dealer/service department is of no help and wants nothing to do with it so that failed>
Last edited by Evblazer on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evblazer

Postby Evblazer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:16 pm

My wife's first ride on it didn't go too well. Similar to how I've been told one gas ZTR to another will behave differently and the controls will have different distances, return to center pressure, reaction times ect the Zeon is very different from the gas Grasshopper. With the old tank of a grasshopper there was a pause and loud groan from the hydros when you moved the control arms before it would turn, the controls had alot more movement before anything changed and I'm wondering if having the front deck gave a better reference of the turn before it really started. The Zeon appears very quick and quiet to react, doesn't have that much movement in the controls and the smaller size/weight/length make it a whole different experience to navigate.

We got home and she got on to back it off the trailer and that part went well. I walked beside her up the driveway and suddenly she was up on the curb and spun the machine around. Not really sure how that happened but I later found with my yard as bumpy as it was the controls would move unless you held on to them unlike my old mower. Once we got to the lawn we dropped the deck down and she mowed for a few minutes and it went well but after the long drive to pick it up she wanted a break.

Since the dealer said it was charged and it was still at full on the gauge I tried it. Spent 10 minutes or so chopping up alot of leaves which worked well enough though every few minutes it dropped a bar on the meter. I then tried to ride around and mow some grass and every few minutes it still dropped a bar. At one bar I plugged it in. I should have measured the voltage as a reference at least but couldn't find any tools to undo the battery cover. I have since purchased a wing nut so I can more easily check the battery compartment. At that point I was kind of worried since I was thinking 20 maybe 30 minutes was all I could get out of a charge.

The next morning I checked the batteries and they were all at 14.3 and I saw that at least one cell had started to boil up a bit so I unplugged the Zeon and took it out to mow. I was able to do some of the back yard where there is grass near the house and the whole front which I figure is about 50% weeds 20% grass 30% dirt or trees. The guage actually hadn't moved for most of the mowing and when I was done I still had half the bars lit which could mean 20 minutes left or anything since I'm not sure it is all that accurate.

Was reading the manual last night on charging. It actually says "Over the winter season, when mower is not used regularly, the charger can be kept plugged into the mower to maintain a full charge on the batteries. Batteries left uncharged will slowly discharge. Before initial use each spring season, be sure batteries have a full charge before mowing." Then elsewhere it mentions "IMPORTANT: If the mower is to be stored for longer than 30 days the batteries should be isolated from the vehicle controls by using the charging adapter that is supplied with the machine." The current online manual says only to charge every 30 days which seems a bit better if say my charger actually turned off. I think i'll make sure to take it for a short little ride once a month and recharge it to give the batteries some exercise and keep up with any leaves/weeds.

Talking to the dealer was a dead end. Two dealers locally who I know have sold Zeons told me they don't stock (which I'd expect) and they can't order anything for the Zeon i'd have to contact Hustler directly. I'm hoping hustler responds since I'm wanting to buy things like at least some spare blades or a mulching cover. I know they stopped making it but they are still selling it so I'd hope there was some support.

Edit: I am hopeful after some searching that the blades are just standard blades they use on other mowers so if I just give them a part number I may be able to get those there even though I could probably get them somewhere else. I have some other mowers that have used special one off blades so it is good that hustler used something standard.

Prices from a government contract 2013 for accessories
Item/Number/MSRP/Contract Prices
Grass Catcher 929711 $749 $584
Mulch Kit 112844 $99 $77
Light Kit 110737 $169 $131
Quick Charger 112400 $599 $467
Steering Extention 333724 $99 $77
Evblazer

Postby mfrerking » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:38 am

Update:

While it was tempting, I just couldn't bring myself to spending the money to go with NiCad or Lithium. Too many horror stories and very expensive. So, I ended up with FLA replacements. Just installed Saturday and ran until the deck motors cut off. Got about 70 minutes of run-time.

I measured the battery voltage and each was down to about 12 volts. So, that tells me I should cut off at about 45 - 50 minutes. Then re-charge. With a four bank charger, I could mow in the morning. Then, after charging throughout the day, go back and mow again in the evening before dark. This should about mow my yard if not totally do so.

When pulling the old batteries, I noted the counter-sunk area extends back under the rear of box side. So, it would be possible to do some modifications to hold the T-125s if you were willing to cut the rear side panel of the box, move it back about 1/4", then re-weld. It would also require raising the seat/battery box lid up 1.5".

With a basically new machine, I was just not willing to that yet. Maybe on the next set.

For reference and for those who are curious about the construction, I took a few pictures. I am still happy with the performance and quality of the machine. Will see how well it holds up.
Attachments
Zeon 006a.JPG
Zeon 006a.JPG (47.63 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Zeon 005a.JPG
Zeon 005a.JPG (41.2 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Zeon 004a.JPG
Zeon 004a.JPG (44.22 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Zeon 003a.JPG
Zeon 003a.JPG (45.19 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Zeon 002a.JPG
Zeon 002a.JPG (47.11 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Zeon 001a.JPG
Zeon 001a.JPG (49.49 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
mfrerking

Postby Walt » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Hello everyone. I might be acquiring a Zeon soon... I'm exited. mfrerking, did you get a deal on the FLA's or pay retail? Best price I can find is $220 ea. :shock:
Walt

Postby mfrerking » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Walt,

It was going to take 6 - 8 weeks for the Trojan dealer to get in the replacements. Ended up with a local Deca equivalent (Ellis) manufactured by East Penn for just a little over $100 each. Their 31 series battery has the same amp hour rating as the Trojans. If I end up with three years of good service, I will be happy.

If you end up getting the Zeon, I recommend replacing the stock charger. It will destroy your new batteries...

So far, I have been mowing 45 - 50 minutes (about 70% discharge). Then recharging before finishing the lawn. Have been able mow my 2 acres with two charges.

It has been a blast to use. No complaints.

Mark
mfrerking

Postby Walt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:13 am

Well, I took the plunge and picked up a Zeon yesterday. Mowers Inc. out of Sarasota, FL claims they bought the last 50 from the factory and was doing a blowout sale on the lot (only about 10 left). Store head, Lonnie, gave me a super deal on one: $2960 total price for a brand new unit, w/ fresh batteries delivered that morning from Intersate rep, w/ one year warranty on Zeon AND batteries. It was Lonnie's birthday as well so he was running a special for any "commercial" mower, he'd include a string trimmer of choice FOR FREE. I chose the brand new model electric Echo DSRM-200 lithium ion cordless (MSRP ~$270) :P . The Zeon batteries are Interstate SRM-29 deep cycle "marine/RV" units, coded 7/14. I'm going to research them to see if they are any good or not, but Lonnie claimed they are better than OEM Trojans :?: .
I practiced maneuvering the unit around a bit yesterday to get the hang of it, and i'll do first cut later on today. I never imagined I could be this excited about a lawnmower :banana. After I use it for a while (and post warranties' expiration), there are some mods I'm conceiving already to make it even more unique/better :idea: . More to come :D .

Walt

Postby Walt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 am

mfrerking wrote:Update:
... With a four bank charger...

What charger are you considering? I'm thinking maybe a Minn Kota 460PC or a Noco Genius Gen4 :?: $$$
Walt

Postby mfrerking » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Congrates Walt!

A quick tip on maneuvering...hold one handle steady. Steer with the other. Before long it will become second nature.

Another tip...fold down the roll over protection bar before mowing under trees with low branches ;) .

Have not used the Interstate brand 31 series. Better than Trojans? Doubtful. But, are the Trojan worth $100 more per battery? Probably not. The battery you listed has slightly less capacity than the OEM Trojans. So, you will have less run-time...5-10 minutes. No biggy...

I am using a Dual Pro four bank charger (15 amp per bank). Already had it on hand. The Minn Kota unit would be a nice system (would like to to try one). I have had good luck with NOCO Genius Gen3 on other equipment. Which ever one you choose, it will be money well spent to get away from the factory charger.

Be diligent on maintaining the water levels in the batteries. For whatever reason, they need to be filled frequently.

The current prices are well below Hustler's original build cost. Great value for the money. Your trimmer bonus would be nice to have :mrgreen: .

Want to add a few features to mine as well. Currently too busy with the garden, yard, and other projects...
mfrerking

Postby mfrerking » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:48 am

Found a used Zeon for sale in KT on Craig's List. Not a bad price if anyone is interested.

http://bgky.craigslist.org/grd/4570340470.html
mfrerking

PreviousNext

Return to Factory Electric Tractors