Hustler Zeon

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Re: Hustler Zeon

Postby mfrerking » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Wanted to report back at the end of mowing season. The Zeon has served me well. Currently has about 80 hrs on it. No complaints.

I keep an eye out for Craig's List. Here is one in KY for $1,800: http://bgky.craigslist.org/grd/4723459694.html
mfrerking

Postby mfrerking » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:56 am

Craig's List find in CT for $2,300: http://nwct.craigslist.org/for/4691199440.html

Another in NH for $2,650: http://nh.craigslist.org/grq/4686321740.html
mfrerking

Postby Nick83 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:07 am

This is to mfrerking. I have an opprotunity to get a Zeon. Is your second season going well? Would you do it again. I would like to know your current insight.
Nick83

Postby Bobhutch » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:42 am

I bought a Zeon almost 3 yrs ago. It was new and I made sure I kept the water topped up.
2 months ago I bought a four bank charger, Noco Genius Gen4.
The first charge I got 4 green lights on the charger, the next charge was 3 green lights, now I dodn’t get any green lights.
I only got 40 minutes run time the last two times I mowed.
I assume my batteries are in need of replacing.
I knew this day would come, but hoped nicads or Lithiums would be available.

Does any have any suggestions?
Bobhutch

Postby fwilliams » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:13 am

AGM batteries are less fragile when charging as long temps are not max'd out ( air temp ) . AGM golf car batts have been available
Last edited by fwilliams on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
fwilliams

Postby mfrerking » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:51 pm

Hey Nick!

Sorry for the delayed response. I sold my house in May and recently moved to another. It has been crazy for several months. This is first chance I have had to check up on the sites.

This Spring, at the original home, and for two months at the transition rental, the Zeon performed flawlessly (it now has 100 hours on it). My new home is smaller, but has twice the yard and many big rocks . So, I have had to buy a gasser.. :( . It is a Hustler Rapter 52". (Bent a blade before the first oil change) (I don't dare use the Zeon here for fear of bending an armature in a deck motor.) The Zeon handles much better than the Rapter in my opinion. It is a pleasure to use and has plenty of power.

If you find a good deal, I would get one. They are blast to use and so much quicker than the tractors...
mfrerking

Postby Evblazer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:58 pm

I just hit 110 hours on my mower. I'm the second owner the original owner flipped it and his wife had the mower dealer take it away if you'll believe that sort of thing.

I'd love a battery option but the only off the shelf one that might work is mean green mowers which has 48v lithiums.. problems is they are 6k+ the last I got an estimate and I couldn't get a size on them.
I have what I believe to be 20ah thundersky batteries in my little 24v black and decker. At first they were good but even with freshly sharpened blades they take a nose dive unless I walk super slow and only use half the deck in the thicker st augustine sections. I really should have gone with some 40ah ones but at the time I was thinking of using the pack for an electric bike also but decided I didn't like riding an assisted bike. This makes me worry abit about cobbling something together for the bigger more power hungry zeon.

Right now the zeon is on it's third set of batteries. The original owner toasted the first set in <30 hours and then the dealer boiled to death the replacements they put in leaving it plugged in for a few weeks between little fun rides around the lot.
My current setup has individual battery monitors and a minn kota 440 charger which is a 4 bank charger. The rear most battery always seems a bit low bit and often drops early and I use it as the gauge of when to stop mowing. Since the minnkota doesn't have equalization I picked up a noco genius 3.5 amp charger that will sort of do an equalization charge on the battery. After an extra charge with the noco the back battery seems to pep up a few cycles before I need to do it again. I don't know if your charger can do an equalization charge or you can plug in the original charger for a short bit to try and equalize them a bit but if they batteries are failing it might be worth a try.

I'm asking way too much of the zeon with the little 12 volt lead acid. I have a 2.3 acres which is heavily wooded and has a long driveway. I thought I could mow it in 3 cycles with time to spare but over time I've found if the grass is growing at all I'm doing 4-5 cycles to get it all done. Due to all the rain we've had in north texas there has only been 3-4 days I haven't mowed in a month. We have to wait till after 9am to mow so mowing twice a day doesn't work out for me due to work and weekend stuff. I'm even using my push mower to try to do alot of the detail work and into the lawn for as long as the battery lasts to reduce the amount of cycles needed on the zeon. There is or was a local one for sale and I thought of getting a second one but may just suffer for a bit and hope the grass slows down with the higher temps.
Evblazer

Postby mfrerking » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:54 am

mfrerking

Postby Evblazer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:21 pm

1900 Wow a few weeks ago they were asking 2800. I guess I have time to think it over while on my trip. Might be worth having one for parts.
Evblazer

Postby Evblazer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:24 am

Im missing something, messed up something or have a dud charger.
In observing a a few charge cycles on my batteries the get up to about 13.8 volts at the high point. After charging they quickly drop to 13.2 and settle down at 12.6 which is where the Charger will kick on briefly once in a while. I run till I'm at 10.8 on a battery then plug back in which if the zeon was sitting plugged in a day or two doesn't seem to be much mowing.
After recharging on the minnkota to full I plug in my noco 3.5 amp charger on a battery and it takes overnight to get all the way to 100% on that battery. On the next cycle the battery with the extra charge is usually .3-.5 volts higher through the whole cycle.
Just this week after a full charge on the Minnkota I used the Xeon charger for a few hours before I mowed and I mowed more than usual. I don't have an ah meter hooked up but I probably really should so I can get some valid test results.
Evblazer

PreviousNext

Return to Factory Electric Tractors