Zeon Battery spacer between post and lug?

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Zeon Battery spacer between post and lug?

Postby Evblazer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Today when trying to put in some individual battery wires I noticed a star lock washer in between the lead of the post and the wires lug. It looks like just plain steel or perhaps some zinc but it is very corroded.
Originally I think it was one of these before it got all corroded.
I'm pretty sure this is a bad thing/mistake the dealer made when installing the original batteries or when they replaced the batteries at less than 30 hours? I've always just had the battery wire lug sit directly on the lead terminal perhaps with some goo of some sort squished in to keep water out and a belville(sp?) washer on top of the wire lug and under the nut. There is no reason to leave those there right? I've looked at the hustler blog and though there isn't a perfect view to tell the terminals don't have any dents like mine now do because of the lock washer.

can't seem to get the img to embed reliably but hopefully these links work.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C5IqlxHjBdcUFPeWFCVzZXMTY0TnA5YU9zV2FhRml3dG1n/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C5IqlxHjBddER2Zl9taWQ5SVlqWHdpa2lsaGk1SVljQnVF/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by Evblazer on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evblazer

Re: Zeon Battery spacer between post and lug?

Postby fwilliams » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:22 am

Yeah - those kind of washers failed the test of time for electrical connection and mechanical bonding both . They only aided corrosion with acid present .
fwilliams

Postby Evblazer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks I'm going to try with them off. I always know I should tear these things down when I get them but never seem to and then find these things later on but usually after things melt or get destroyed so I'm a bit ahead this time I hope. I have two more batteries to rewire so I can make the 4 bank charger I got off board and then I can try the mower with the washers removed on chopping/blowing leaf duty.
Evblazer

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Those are only good for low current electrical connections. You see then used alot on cars to attach ground wires to painted metal surfaces. They cut through the paint.
Jeff Antonucci

Return to Factory Electric Tractors