Hustler Zeon battery connections and other questions

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Re: Hustler Zeon battery connections and other questions

Postby Evblazer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:47 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (90.15 KiB) Viewed 986 times
I would not have done this if I didn't have a bunch of pipe and a tubing bender I bought years ago and never really got the chance to use so it was free for me.
I'm hoping this holds up well but so far it seems ok. I'm going to keep a careful watch on the whole thing but the hitch especially to make sure it doesn't bend.
To mount it I drilled a half inch hole in the craftsman bracket in front of the original hitch pin and bolted the assembly to the hitch. Then I bent some 3/4" conduit and bolted it to the craftsman mount and under the bolts right behind where the ROPS comes out. It seems really solid right now and after a few full loads.
I didn't cut anything off the craftsman piece but did bend the pieces that went into the original mower probably making it unusable for the original purpose.
For next season I plan on welding up something along your design when I can scrounge up some material so I can place it better on the mower and get the hitch back.

Also a 4 bank charger has been wonderful. I've got about 20 hours on the mower with it now and just put about a half gallon of distilled water in between all the batteries. With the hustler charger I was needing two gallons of water every few hours of mowing. I had even messed up previously and got the batteries so dry that it caused errors when trying to move the mower which is what prompted me to give in and get a 4 bank charger.
Evblazer

Postby dtimmel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:10 am

Life has not included time for playing with the mower . . . sorry this took a while.
Finally finished the bagger project, took the pictures, and posted a new topic. Links to a Picasa album with pictures and explanation. If you all think it would be better, I can post a Word doc attachment.
Using a larger 2.5" square tube for the main mounting bracket really improved the outcome.
Hope it is useful.
dtimmel

Postby dtimmel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:43 am

evblazer,
I didn't notice your post, on a new page, till tonight.
Your solution is terrific, except for losing the hitch, and I bet it is more stable than mine. Three points, all the weight on the hitch.
Your Sears mounting brackets are entirely different than mine, which I couldn't figure out a good way to incorporate.
Tubing benders are a lot of fun, once you get the hang of marking out bends. Just watch the conduit, at the bolt holes. It is not super strong, esp once it rusts on the inside.

I too got a 4-bank charger on advice from mfrerking, and it is worth the money (not sure wife thinks so.)

Speaking of hitchs, I pulled an aerator with Zeon last week. Better than I ever hoped. It will run all day with the mower off; plenty of power, never even felt the aerator pulling; easier to get on and off the Zeon than a tractor to actuate the aerator; and the silence was amazing! I could hear the hawks cry overhead. Best of all was the unexpected benefit of controlling a trailer with a zero turn. Backing up is so easy what with being able to waggle the hitch any direction i want. Very glad I took the risk and bought the Zeon. (Wife still sceptical . . .)
dtimmel

Postby mfrerking » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 am

Nice work on both the bagger attachments.

Keep reminding the wife of how quite and economical they are to operate. ;)

Which brand of chargers did you go with?
mfrerking

Postby dtimmel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:11 am

NOCO Genius. Found a significantly lower price than the alternatives.
But not many options for attachment. Wife not too happy with me adding all these "ugly" things to the machine, so to keep the charger external but somewhat convenient I cobbled together some disconnects bolted to the NOCO ring terminals. Glad you mentioned that altering them would void the warranty. I can unbolt if needed.
dtimmel

Previous

Return to Factory Electric Tractors