Zeon Batterry Replacement

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Re: Zeon Batterry Replacement

Postby Jake » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:06 am

Seems that the optimal for the lead-acid replacement would be a 13S pack. I browsed through the smartec ZT manual to check if there is any voltage setting and at the bottom of page 23 might be a clue to how to adjust the voltage with the Smartec service tool: see "Adjust battery". No idea over what range it could be adjusted. Anybody up for trying this out? I have a Smartec tool but no 12S or 14S lithium packs to try this out.
Jake

Postby Evblazer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:21 am

I was looking up info on the hydro gear site and the deck motor/controller have a max of 55 volts which is also the max on the transaxle/controller. That makes the 14s too high based on that rating for me and no second chances. I don't know if they are already pushing it at 55 or if that is safe and really it'll take 60. Since the leaf cans come 2s2p they aren't easily made to a 13s pack and cutting a volt pack looks pretty scary too.

I was looking at the discharge curve on volt cells and the point before they drop off a lot is right near the blade shutoff so 12s maybe be a pretty good match. It won't be like lead though. With lead the blades shutoff and the voltage pops up and you are "good" to go back hundreds of feet to the charger. With the lithium the blades shutoff and the voltage is still lower than it should probably be and won't bounce up alot. So the blade shutoff will be the failsafe and I'm going to have to add some cell level and pack level voltage alarms at higher spots.

If I could squeeze in 3 packs at 50ah a piece for the newer model of volt modules that may be worth the frustration factor of doing a little butchering but lower initial outlay for one 48V/50ah piece and potential of fitting 150AH onboard. So back to a flip in the coin on which way to go with leaf of volt cells. Hm maybe I could fit 3 leaf cans in parallel which would be 180AH :? no nope I'm not getting trojans again I gotta make up my mind somehow :)

Edit: contacted hybrid auto center to ask about a 12S leaf pack. It'll be 120AH at just under half the current weight. I'm trying to find a drop in replacement and the volt involves alot of unknowns and permanently modifying the mower into a rolling science experiment.

Edit2: Ordered 12S leaf pack, charger and BMS. BMS comes with a wifi hub so I can connect from a device to check cell voltages and hopefully some other useful stuff.

I was looking on eBay for that interface tool and found there is someone selling a crate of deck motors and two crates of transaxle so. 1500$ gets you 80+ surplus deck motors. Wish I could just snag a couple.
Evblazer

Postby Evblazer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:28 am

1st ride with leaf batteries worked well. Made quite a few stops to check connections with a temp gun and make sure the batteries didn't move.. Leaf batteries drop pretty linearly as the discharge till near the end so it is easy to watch.
Batteries fit in there perfectly. I did have to move the negative cable to come up a different spot but I'm glad I did because I found the connection under the mower was very loose.
One other benefit seems to be the mower moves easier with less battery weight. Driving amps is less which pushes overall amp draw down. Maybe if I lose some weight myself it'll work even better.
Attachments
IMG_3827.JPG
About an hour and a half of mowing leaves with the mulch kit and stopping to check the batteries. Supposed to have 40 or more ah to safely go.
IMG_3827.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 757 times
IMG_3826.JPG
12s leaf pack. 1/4 foam flooring underneath the cells on top of the tray. 1" rubberized pipe wrap around the stock battery hold down nearly cinches then right up.
IMG_3826.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 757 times
Evblazer

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:58 am

Great job with this battery swap! So what's your run time with this pack? How much was it?
Jeff Antonucci

Postby Evblazer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 pm

For the complete "kit" including cells, all the various connectors/plates/nuts/covers, WIFI BMS and charger it was 2k delivered to my door.
Run time/range is going to be difficult. I was out chopping leaves and some patches of high grass with my mulch kit and wavy mulch blades for almost 2 hours. If the leaves were piled up it was pushing 80 amps so I slowed down to keep amp draw lower.

I did find the "load" of moving around without blades seems to have dropped a good bit i'd guess 10amps or more. I probably dropped 100 lbs or more in battery weight. I could easily pick up all 45 volts of the leaf cells, bms and load it in and out of the zeon. I used some of the black plastic for posters to "insulate" the edges the the battery bay top just in case but there is more than enough room in there.

I haven't tried my new flat grass blades with side discharge yet since the grass won't be around till march or later. I only mowed with them a few times last year and they really cut down amp draw compared to the mulching, gator blades and even the low lift blades and the cut was good at least in my bermuda/weeds. With my last lead acid pack it took three or four cycles to be able to get a 35 ah cycle out of the mower but I had at least one bad cell.
Evblazer

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:41 am

Had to make the switch to Lithium a year earlier than planned due to one failing cell in the lead-acid pack but the results are awesome. Capacity seems to be about 3 acres on a single charge now.

Following the lead of evblazer this pack is based on the Nissan Leaf modules in combination with a CAN bus connected BMS from Zeva, Australia. The logs are nice, calculation of State-of-Charge is done by the BMS and the Voltage and Current measurements show less voltage drop under higher loads than I used to see with the stock lead-acid batteries.

Jake

Postby TimNY1984 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Great now I need to buy another mower with dead batteries so I can upgrade it. My yard really could use a zero-steer. Here's to hoping one pops up on craigslist close by. Keep us updated on how well those leaf cells are working. I've got about 1.5 acres to cut so I think the Zeon would be perfect. Electrak can be on loader duty full time after that.

Tim
TimNY1984

Previous

Return to Factory Electric Tractors