Hustler Zeon 02A62 code

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Hustler Zeon 02A62 code

Postby Christopher rhode » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:17 pm

...this topic was originally at lawnsite.com. I brought my post over here to condense some of the Zeon tidbits floating around the net.

The following may be of some help to other Zeon owners. When I first got my Zeon I was plagued by the code 2A62 and sometimes 2A65. This code locks up the machine leaving you sitting wherever it happens (in my case most recently at the post office LOL). I contacted former Zeon owner "Hustler Zeon Owner" (who originally started this thread) and he was able to give me some important insight and clues as to the behavior of his Zeon and how the dealer handled it.
I noticed that it would give the code 2A62 (the right side), but also that I could clear the code (sometimes) by holding the left park switch with my thumb, while jiggling the right handle. So we know that the right and left handle position sensors are on the correct sides (obviously), but the park switches might not be. Here's what's happening on probably all Zeons with the 2A62 problem. In order for the park brake to release at startup, two conditions must be met: the park switches must be closed (handles out), and the value of resistance at the handle position sensors must be below a certain limit. After raising the rear, and bypassing the damned seat switch, I found that both wheels had some very slight forward or reverse motion when the handles were in neutral (but not in park) position. The handle position sensors themselves have no adjustment, so the adjustment is made by changing the position of the handle dampeners (for lack of a better description). They look like shock absorbers on each side, and their purpose is to hold the handles in neutral and provide some resistance in forward and reverse. Adjusting these dampeners (both have a slot at their mounting point) until the wheels don't move, is the ticket. The fact that the park switches are on the wrong side doesn't cause the problem, but confounds anyone (even the dealer) trying to troubleshoot the issue. I have no plans on reversing the park wires, but I will leave the seat switch bypassed:). I consider the problem solved. I drove it all over today, and could not get it to fault out. To correct the problem follow these steps:

1). Raise the rear wheels off the ground
2). Bypass the seat switch (I leave mine bypassed)
3). Remove both handles
4). Remove both side covers
5). Use a tester to check the park switches (check for continuity) just to be sure they work.
6). Turn on the machine
7). If it turns on and says ready, move the levers out of the park position.
7a). If it doesn't say ready, you will have to **** with it until it does.
8). If the wheels start to creep, adjust the "handle dampeners" until the wheels stop moving. The adjustment is made using a wrench from inside the battery compartment, and another to keep the bolt from turning.
9). When both wheels don't move your problem should be fixed.
10). Try shutting it off and back on several times before putting everything back together.
11). When you are confident that the problem is solved, reinstall the covers and handles

I hope this helped you.

***UPDATE*** I won my Zeon on EBay with 44 hrs on it. Ive used the heck out it this summer: mowing, mulching leaves, towing a small cart, etc. It now has 89 hours and hasn't given me that code again. It's been a sweet little machine.
Christopher rhode

Re: Hustler Zeon 02A62 code

Postby Jake » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:58 am

Regarding the confusion about left & right park switches: according to the schematics, these left and right park-switches are connected in series, both closed when in park, both open when driving. So if you hold the left handle switch in park you will only trigger the neutral check on the right side when moving the right drive lever from park to neutral or vice versa. If the left drive lever is out of park position, the drive controllers can't "see" anymore whether the opposite drive lever is moving between park or drive position.

I've found the drive lever voltage levels that trigger the 2A62 and 2A65 errors to be set too narrow relative to the neutral signal that each drive lever generates internally. Adjusting the "dampeners" is one trick to avoid starting just outside this neutral band but it's finicky. When I went from drive levers to joystick control and had the freedom to control both the neutral signal and analog drive lever voltages separately I increased the tolerance a bit and have not had these errors since.

Good to hear your Zeon is still going strong, 3 seasons on mine now, 115 hours.
Jake

Postby Christopher rhode » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:30 am

'Hustler Zeon Owner' had his looked at by the dealer and reported the the switches were reversed because it was always an '02' code and never an '04' code. Since they are connected in series, it couldn't possibly generate a code '04', and your explanation makes a lot more sense Jake. That also coincides with everyone's description that's contacted me about getting a code 02A62 and never an 04A62. Good to know there really wasn't a mistake from the factory in the wiring.

I agree that adjusting those dampeners (my word for them) only takes some of the play out of the linkage, but it's the only real fix available to average user. I'm with you on that: the problem should have been addressed at the software level.

Completely off the subject, I'm wrestling with the idea of removing my batteries and taking them inside for the winter... What are your thoughts on that?
Christopher rhode

Postby Jake » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:20 am

@the question of storing batteries inside over winter: I've not done that myself so far. In my case, the mower stays in a garage connected to the house where it has been just below freezing but never extremely cold. My preference is to keep it close to the charger and apply a short charge to top off the batteries once about every 3 months. As I'm still using the stock charger that's easier with all batteries still in the mower.
Jake

Postby Christopher rhode » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:39 am

I ended up leaving them in the machine, in the garage, for the same reasons you did. I also wanted to be able to move the machine out of my way if I needed to. I checked the voltages every month and topped them off once or twice, and here we are about to begin another mowing season. Just mowed the back yard yesterday, and the batteries seemed to have the survived winter perfectly fine.
Christopher rhode

Postby Jake » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:05 pm

I did the same this winter, last round to clean up leaves was 2nd of December. Then charged it fully and let it sit. On Feb-21, the batteries still had 12.46, 12.48, 12.48 and 12.48 V, nice even voltages. I did the s.g. check, all OK, topped off water and let the stock 48V charger do a full charge cycle which only took 2.58 kWh energy and ended with a green charger light.
Jake

Return to Factory Electric Tractors