Jacobsen "Electra Mark IV" restoration begun...

Deere, Sears, ect. All others here.

Jacobsen "Electra Mark IV" restoration begun...

Postby Geo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm

In exchange for a spare JD 90 I had around the barn, Billy Martin went through the Jacobsen both electrically and mechanically and found out it was in pretty good shape! Everything worked and ran well believe it or not with just some minor adjustments. The one exception was the mower deck motors. The motors themselves were fine and the brushes were less than 50% worn, the problem is the brush holders had just fallen apart. Since they were part of one big assembly that went all the way through to the pig-tail that connected to the battery this was going to be a big problem. Chad's neighbor and motor guy (and now Billy's motor guy) took a look at them and he thinks he can actually fix them- Amazing! Anxiously awaiting their return. Until then I've started the restoration, probably less than 25% through it so far. Really does not look bad at all under all that crud. I did also have a complete set of new decals made for it. I don't expect there will ever be too big a demand for them. :lol:

img_0296.jpg
As found...one of the "before" pictures...
img_0296.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

img_0298.jpg
Deck with mower motors...
img_0298.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

JCB1.jpg
Long way to go...
JCB1.jpg (98.43 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

JCB2.jpg
New decals...ready for the last step...
JCB2.jpg (85.99 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Geo

Re: Jacobsen "Electra Mark IV" restoration begun...

Postby roberttroll » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Well first off - lets see under the fiberglass on that thing.

Second - you had a spare JD90? a SPARE?? Let me know if you get a spare JD96.
roberttroll

Postby Geo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am

Well, there is not much to see actually, a really simple machine...I have one pic but will post others as I go along on the project. You sit on 2 batteries and the battery other sits by itself in a small battery box just behind the charger and drive motor. The best part is the frame- one piece of 2" steel tubing. A 235 lbs. driver sitting on that frame is rather interesting.

I actually got a really good deal on a near mint JD90 and my not so mint one was pushed over in the corner. Believe me, Billy has his work cut out for him! I'll keep a look out for a JD96 for you.

JCB3.jpg
Battery charger and drive motor...
JCB3.jpg (106.86 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
Geo

Postby DH1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 am

Good stuff, George this ones a keeper for sure and a piece of Electric Tractor history.
I don't think there's too many of this model out there.
Thanks
Doug from Markham Ont, Canada
EGT200 x2, E12, E12M, E15, ET2
DH1

Postby Bushman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 pm

This little thing is cool. I had the opportunity to transport it back to George a few weeks ago. The whole idea behind the 2" steel tubing was to provide a swiveling action for some type of suspension. There really is nothing else to this machine. I was surprised! Only the drive motor, the charger assembly, a few wires for the deck motors, and a couple of switches to run the thing. Had to have been cheap to manufacture.

Those JD96's seem to be a lot rarer than the 90's. I know of at least 4 JD90's in my area, and my step-dad has the only 96. He has to talked about slimming down the collection some...
Chad
GE-Electrak.com Admin/Moderator
Bushman

Return to Factory Electric Tractors