Need new Steering Shaft with gear, or Ideas for new one

Need new Steering Shaft with gear, or Ideas for new one

Postby 1southcarolina » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:10 pm

I had a major break down on my E10. I was mowing and tried to turn too tight, then heard a pop! next thing I know my steering wheel is spinning freely in my hand and I have no control of steering.
I took it apart and discovered that I had broken the metal mount on the drive system to the steering knuckle and then also that the gear at the end of the steering shaft also broke. I am going to see if I can get a new mounting plate made, but the steering shaft I have know Idea if it can be made. I therefor am looking for a replacement steering shaft with the Gear removed so I can put it thru the mounting plate, then place the gear back on and reassemble the steering system.
Has any one upgraded the steering shaft upper & lower system? Please let me know, Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG (892.19 KiB) Viewed 678 times
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 679 times
Last edited by 1southcarolina on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
1southcarolina

Re: Need new Steering Shaft with gear, or Ideas for new one

Postby FarmallMan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:16 pm

If it's possible to post a photo or two of the part that broke, that would be helpful for me to get an idea of what the system looks like. I'm mostly familiar with the large frame tractors, and I know the systems are different.

Nick 8-)
FarmallMan

Postby Bushman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:51 pm

What luck!? The steering was the weakest part of the small frame machines. I believe there is the steering wheel shaft, and then an intermediate shaft going straight down past the charger. Is that the one that broke? I probably have another one here...

I installed the bearing upgrades on the spindles hoping it would help with this problem, but apparently not. The shafts can probably be mild steel round bar of the right diameter, then drill holes for the gear mounting.

Did you install the diode in place of the jumper yet? Did it work?
Bushman

Postby 1southcarolina » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:34 am

Chad, I received the Diodes yesterday thanks. I took the "Mounting plate to a metal fabricator to see if they can make me a new one out of stainless steel to reduce the rusting. The lower shaft broke thru the rusted mount as you can see on the second picture. The metal shop thinks they can re-create the main steering shaft, except for the gear at the end. Do you know of a replacement gear that may work? They will have to cut the gear off to get the steering shaft out of the mounting plate so they can fabricate me a new one. I was wondering if someone has done away with the large steel ball set up and replace them with a bearing set up (upper and lower on the main steering shaft?
1southcarolina

Postby Bushman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 am

I have another steering shaft and aligning bearings in another console that isn't in good shape itself. The gear does seem to be missing one tooth though. They are in better condition than those were originally. Almost forgot I had this extra console.

McMaster-Carr seems to have the flange mount and surface mount shaft bearings that are similar to the originals, but do not rotate radially. They also have gears, but not sure of the pitch and size yet. Maybe take a look there.

I can try to remove the gear from my console, but may not get to it right away. Will look at it closer tomorrow.
Bushman

Return to Wanted To Buy