Tiller motor question

Forum for factory attachments

Tiller motor question

Postby hticheno » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 pm

I have just received a second tiller with another E20 I just purchased. I tried the tiller out on my old E20 and found it runs in reverse (opposite rotation to my old tiller). Assuming that this was just a matter of reversed leads to the tiller motor, I was shocked to discover that reversing the leads made no difference whatsoever to the rotation direction of the tiller blades. My whole DC motor world view has collapsed. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on here and instruct me on how to get the tiller motor to run in the opposite direction?

Thanks

Harold
hticheno

Re: Tiller motor question

Postby hticheno » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:36 pm

My research tells me I need to swap the polarity on either the armature or the field. However, looking at the motor I am not sure how this would be done. Can anyone who knows these motors well walk me through this? It occurs to me it should be possible to design a switching device to do this. I imagine it might be a fairly heavy duty switch, but it could be very useful to be able to reverse a tiller in some situations.

Harold
hticheno

Re: Tiller motor question

Postby m_c_0101 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:26 pm

I suspect the previous owner made some changes inside the motor shell.
If I remember the motor correctly (my tiller is marooned behind other equipment at the moment), there are 4 stud terminals on the exterior of the motor tied together in pairs. Each pair consists of one armature and one field terminal. You will need to change the pairings (ie pair the field terminal from pair 1 with the armature terminal from pair 2 and vice versa). Replacing the tie bars with jumper wires would be one solution.
As to the switching device, simply use a manual F/R switch from a golf cart or a reversing solenoid arrangement (like GE did on the tractors where the armature is reversed).

Tim M
m_c_0101

Return to Factory attachments